Alaska Bush Wheels

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

MikeW wrote:I can tell you that the big tires are more forgiving and will make any landing easier. As far as wheel landing vs three point, because your three point attitude is now higher that before, the airplane will need to be totally stalled before touching down, otherwise a little bounce will occur. It takes a little getting used to but if you come in slow let your mains hit and then make an agressive pitch forward with the elevator to bring the tail up about two feet off the ground, once you push forward don't look back, commit to pinning the main wheels. Don't relax the elevator, even if there is a little bounce. The big tires will cushion your wheel landings WAY more that the little tires did. This is a technique that works well with the big wheels. At first, stay off the brakes until you lower the tail with aft elevator. After you get used to this style of landing, you can start coming up on brakes while the tail is still up. The way to start this without going up on the nose is once you have pinned the mains, pull some aft elevator to get the tail started down and then as the tail starts to sink apply a little brake to keep the tail up, again, about 24 inches off the ground. If the tail comes up a little too much, relax brakes, if the tail is a little low you can apply a little more brake. Practice this over and over and after a while it will become second nature. Hope this helps

MikeW
Mike,
What flap setting do you use as a rule? I found zero flaps works good with 8.50's in most cases with wheel landings.
Thanks
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I usually use full flaps so that my landing speed is lower. If you are flying off a large runway and want to blend in with faster traffic that may work best. Do what makes sense for your operation. I would recommend practicing other flap settings on landing if your uncomfortable with them. Even just one afternoon of going around the pattern using flaps half and full doing wheelies can really boost your confidence with your airplane. I also have found that trimming the nose down on short final helps to stick the mains on easier. While practicing, if your not getting the desired result, change something. I watched a Maule practicing last week, doing just what were talking about. He was very consistent. Nice approach but would not commit to either a full stall, or a wheelie. So the airplane would touch main gear first, the tail would drop, plane would bounce back in the air, then he would add a little power to arrest the fall and land it three point, after using about 1200ft of runway. He did this for an hour. After taxing in, I don't know if he had learned anything that day. This is not to impune him, we have all been there. Some days are better than others! :) Stick with it and enjoy. Any day flying beats.....

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

MikeW wrote:I usually use full flaps so that my landing speed is lower. If you are flying off a large runway and want to blend in with faster traffic that may work best. Do what makes sense for your operation. I would recommend practicing other flap settings on landing if your uncomfortable with them. Even just one afternoon of going around the pattern using flaps half and full doing wheelies can really boost your confidence with your airplane. I also have found that trimming the nose down on short final helps to stick the mains on easier. While practicing, if your not getting the desired result, change something. I watched a Maule practicing last week, doing just what were talking about. He was very consistent. Nice approach but would not commit to either a full stall, or a wheelie. So the airplane would touch main gear first, the tail would drop, plane would bounce back in the air, then he would add a little power to arrest the fall and land it three point, after using about 1200ft of runway. He did this for an hour. After taxing in, I don't know if he had learned anything that day. This is not to impune him, we have all been there. Some days are better than others! :) Stick with it and enjoy. Any day flying beats.....
Good Advice your inputs are appreciated. :)
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

tworude

31" abw

Post by tworude »

I got the 31's installed and have about 41 landings on them now. Over inflated at first they ounce like a basket ball. At 11.5 they seem to work well. What pressures is every one else using? I have had to land on pavement a few times and did notice a slight pitching but not an issue. You are right about much easier to wheel land.

I have been using my small 3200 and tried out a fat tire from a brand I will not mention since I cracked it on a sand bar in the Knik river. Wow, did I concentrate on a soft landing back at Merrill!
Stephen Rude
77 M5-235C N12BE

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Steve,

I run mine at 8 psi for regular stuff and will use 6 psi for bigger rocks or soft sand.

MikeW.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You broke your new tailwheel? :shock:
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

tworude

Post by tworude »

I did break it on that picnic table strip at the base of the knik. It is pretty rough (Im sure it had nothing to do with the pilot...) Did you look into buying a hangar Jeff?
Stephen Rude
77 M5-235C N12BE

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I have another question I noticed on the ABW site that the new 35's can only be used with Oleo gear. I have seen 29's on Aluminum spring gear. Anyone use the 31's on Aluminum Spring gear or know if it is possible?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

31" on wide aluminium gear is approved and works fine.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Brake sizes

Post by HeavyLoad »

Old thread I know, but was wondering about brake sizes with the ABW 29" and 31". Do you need bigger then stock brakes? I'm guessing this is one of those times when people will say you can't have to big of brakes?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Any tyre bigger than 8.50x6 requires double puck brakes and they are preferred with 8.50s too
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide