MT Propeller

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
joemcd

MT Propeller

Post by joemcd »

Is anyone running the MT Prop on a MX-7-180B? I would love a pirep from anyone out there.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Boy I wish I could have... the Cub guys are lovin' them. Light , responsive and look good. Between the Cub Husky and Scout guys I think it is a very good option to add the Maule in there too!

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I know someone who is, but it's on a 300hp Maule, has Beta too.

You guy's know the MT is a wooden prop right? One good lick and it explodes?

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

a64pilot wrote:I know someone who is, but it's on a 300hp Maule, has Beta too.
Got to love those clipped wings, too!
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

MT Prop

Post by erik van veenen »

I will have one in about 3 months on my MX7 O360-C1F, Long order lead time from the factory in Germany.
Will post all results ASAP. Erik van Veenen

AK_Mauler

Post by AK_Mauler »

For those doubting the intgrity of these props, I witnessed a Yak-52 driver grind his MT prop on the runway while show-boating on a low approach. He did a go around and landed with no problems. The prop was changed and in a few hours he was back in business. Is the Aluminum prop stronger, without a doubt, but I would not be afraid of the MT prop with the Nickel leading edge. I think a prop strike with an aluminum prop there is a far greater chance of engine damage. I in no way endorse what other people do, just reporting what I saw.

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

AK_Mauler wrote:For those doubting the intgrity of these props, I witnessed a Yak-52 driver grind his MT prop on the runway while show-boating on a low approach. He did a go around and landed with no problems. The prop was changed and in a few hours he was back in business. Is the Aluminum prop stronger, without a doubt, but I would not be afraid of the MT prop with the Nickel leading edge. I think a prop strike with an aluminum prop there is a far greater chance of engine damage. I in no way endorse what other people do, just reporting what I saw.
I must re-adjust my too optimistic date for having a MT 2 bladed for the O360
The MT Prop we want to do, and have made the arrangements for , needs our extended gear, which is still in the STC pipeline, along with the Oleo.
The weight savings of this prop is an important factor I feel also, along with less likely engine damage.
Would like to report ASAP, but our fate is in the hands of the FAA.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Does anyone have recent experience with the MT prop on a Maule? The last post on this topic was 2009. There's recent thread on backcountrypilot.org praising the weight reduction, smoothness and thrust increase. MT props now have a stainless steel leading edge strip rather than nickel. They aren't really "wooden" props. The core is thin compressed strips of laminated beech wood reinforced by layers of epoxy fiberglas, Kevlar or carbon fiber. I think that depends on the model. The prop hub steel bearing insert sounds intriguing and maybe it would reduce wear. Based on the backcountrypilot.org thread, those who have them on their airplanes have noticed a significant improvement in vibration reduction and better takeoff performance. STCs are available for a 2-blade MTV-15 and 3-blade MTV-12 for the Maule MX(T)-7-180. The 3-blade MTV-12 is 71", which is shorter than the standard 76" Hartzell prop and provides more ground clearance in deep snow or floatplane operations but more thrust. MT makes a point about overhauls being done in the US without loss of prop material by repairing nicks with epoxy and replacing the leading edge strip when necessary rather than dressing down an aluminum propeller. The price seems to be around $10,750, which is about $2,000 less than a new 2-blade Hartzell 76" prop.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

MT Prop proposal for the 180HP C1F Maule

The Maule BVR Landing Gear & Improved Oleos are done, production tooling and all. Complete details to be published in the near future.

Next the Landing Gear and Oleo FAA drop-tests around end January, as planned.

Once the Gear & Oleo pass, I can offer the Gear and Oleo for sale in good fate.

The MT 2 Blade composite will be next, using the extended gear.

Anyone out there in the US, with a 180 hp C1F Lyc. powered & Oleo geared Maule is welcome to our factory new MT prop at our US landed MT factory cost price, if he/she makes the 180hp. Maule available for the FAA STC flight testing.
The FAA STC to be obtained will NOT be included in the package offer, or shared with the aircraft owner
I will carry all the expenses for the DER flight test pilot and other STC related paper work.

Our loaner extended BVR gear, complete, to be used on a temporary installation for this STC flight test. ( just for the Propeller noise test mind you, but the gear used can also be bought of course for a discount ?? ) By the way, prices for our complete BVR 4 x 4 landing gear will not be higher than ABW charges for their heavy duty Maule gear. )

No real expenses for the owner, except for the zero time factory new LONG 2 blade MT prop at our invoice(s) price, and your own travel and housing expenses for a few days during the test. This is a finger licking deal with no hidden clauses or formulas.

Flight time for propeller noise testing is very minimal ( under 6 hrs ) without any intrusive procedures to the plane.

My own MX7 180hp with the same engine will not be in the air before late spring/early summer to do a propeller flight test with. ( too many mods to be incorporated and executed )

For further details, mail me at : pent-ax-5D (at ) t.online.de

Sorry, I only need one Maule MX7 with a 180hp Lyc. C1F

Mr. Ed

MT prop

Post by Mr. Ed »

I've been looking into hanging an MT on my MX7-180C. Currently there are no STC's for the MT on a Maule. The guys in WI have one in the works for the 80" two blade that they say should be done shortly as the FAA has been sitting on it for well over a year. So the only option if yo want it now is to get field approval. I have my mechanic looking into that now. The folks in WI say that they have all the support to do that and will provide all documentation required by the FAA. I just don't know what the current atmosphere in the FAA is on field approvals. The prop that Eric is working on getting an STC for is too long to work with the spring gear unless you have 31" tires. I have the tires but want to be able to swap out to my 8.50's in the winter without changing the prop also. Anybody out there have a field approval for the Maule with an MT?

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

So is the STC listed on the MT website only for the tricycle configured 180hp Maules?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think the MT website page with the STCs is using MX(T)-7-180 to indicate that the STC covers both the MX-7-180 (including A,B,C) tailwheel and the MXT-7-180A, B, C nosewheel models. It shows both the 2-blade MTV-15 and 3-blade MTV-12 as having STCs. Here's the URL http://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/stcs.htm
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mr. Ed

MT prop

Post by Mr. Ed »

If you talk to the guys at the MT sales business in WI you'll find that they have approval in Europe but not in the states. The STC for the MX7-180 a,b,c is in the works with the FAA but not yet approved. At least that's what they told me a couple days ago.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

? 80" MT prop option from Maule Air for the 180 hp

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Saw the following on the 2011 Maule Option list,

Two Blade Propeller (180 hp Models): 80 inch MT Prop with Hi-Glo Chrome-Like Spinner

Does any one know if this a FP or CS model?
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

JLB

Post by JLB »

I believe that Maule only offers the constant speed prop now, so I'm fairly certain this is a constant speed as well.