Odyssey Battery

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ok guys, I need to revisit this Odyssey thing one last time. Nearly a year ago I had paperwork ready which satisfied my local fed and was ready to do the Odyssey. I did some wt and balance stuff and decided against it. Against my better judgement I installed a Gill instead of a Concorde to save a couple of pounds. Recently I weighed the airplane, did the math and figure I could have used the Odyssey. I was never happy with the Gill and today it let me down. I'm torn between between a Concorde and going for the Odyssey.

So here's my question to you guys who use the Odyssey day in and out. There was a time when I would take a bet any day on starting a Navajo in 3 blades or less whether hot, cold, or indifferent but that was a while ago. It sometimes takes me a few spins now to get the hot start right. Soooo... Does the Odyssey have the staying power I might need from time to time or should I just grab a Concorde to be safe?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yes. Hot or cold, the little Odyssey spins it over with no difficulty even after sitting for weeks below freezing. Mine is three year old now and working like new.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

You will not be disappointed with the Odyssey. After struggling with the FAA since June I finally received a 120 day flight permit while engineering blesses the 337. What a pain. Anyway the story is much much longer but its just good to be back in the air. Thanks again for everyone's help and input.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Just got my Field Approval back for installing the Odyssey battery and relocating it to the firewall on my M4-220. Took about 3 weeks here in AK, too bad it isn't as easy through other FSDO's.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You are so right. And it's not just the FSDO, it's the individual inspectors. I bounced some paperwork back and forth with a local inspector last year and he was ready to sign off on the Odyssey in my M6. At the last minute I realized that the previous owner had the wt and bal paperwork screwed up and told him I would hold off till I got around to actually weighing the airplane just to be sure. Later I sent him some paperwork to put the battery in a Champ and he stamped it and sent it back. That simple. Now I have weighed the Maule and satisfied myself with CG and am ready to stick one in it. I forwarded the paperwork back and waited. After a week I called him. He said he was now in another position and could not do Field Approvals. I talked to the inspector who has the paperwork and he advised me that I needed to show it as an "add on"to the STC for the PA18 for that battery and I would have to contact Odyssey and get a letter of approval to use it. I just thanked him and hung up. Well, Duhu. Odyssey doesn't own that STC and I don't care to bug Dans for something they get nothing out of. Calling him back tomorrow. Might be time to go over and baby sit him a little.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I think you can print a copy of PA18 STC directly off Atlee's website... This battery is PMA'd originally by Odyssey for PA18 (Atlee Dodge), but if PMA'd, it's PMA'd and meets same spec no matter what kind of airplane it's in!! The main difference is that the PMA'd version of Odyssey is sealed in an explosion proof case. STC only covers that addition to a PA18, got nothing to do with a Maule... I was told by ACO (Aircraft Cert. Office) up here that they now consider the Odyssey installation OK in any airplane with logbook only entry as it's a minor alteration... This came directly from one of their Senior Engineer's and I personally heard it!! But your IA does have to consider draw on your electrical sys, like if you had a glass panel, and what the impact would be in IFR if aircraft used a good deal for IFR at next annual... Bottom line, I'd either call inspector's manager to discuss in more detail, or just put it in, sign off in logbook a good description of installation and go flying!!! Worry about your IA dealing with it on next annual inspection... Frustrating, eh!!! Been there done that, but generally you make enough noise without threatening them, it'll get done eventually, too bad it's gotta be like that!

In hindsight, next time you got an inspector with his stamp out, have him stamp off everything at same time... If you didn't like w&b later, you don't have to install, and if you wanted, just do another 337 removing from airplane and viola, it's like was never there... :(
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You got that right. That was a big mistake. I forget that people aren't there forever.

This guy is new to the agency though we knew of each other when he worked GA around here forever (perhaps that's the problem). I'm sure he's just fresh out of FAA school and said it's law now that if I reference something I need a letter from the holder. We'll get it straightened out.

Thanks for all your help.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

OK, done deal. Called the fed this morning and asked "do I need that reference to the STC at all". He said "nope, you have enough data there without it" so I deleted the stuff and sent it back. It's on it's way to me in the mail. He said it is now law that if you reference another approval you must have consent to avoid copyright problems. Guess it makes sense.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I'm possibly going to need to replace my battery very soon and I'm thinking about the odyssey. I was asked to collect two or three 337's for the M4 preferably with the frank 220. If anyone has one readily available please PM me.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Have one for M-6 with 235 and Champ with O-200 if it helps.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Really need same make and model but every example helps I'm sure.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

No one has a 337 for and M4? Surely there are a few here.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You probably have enough to get started. I used one from an M-5 (which I can no longer find) as an example when I got approval for our Champ and then the one from the Champ when I got approval for the M-6. Maule with similar engine size might be good enough.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier but My IA said I didn't need a 337 if you use the SBS J-16 battery. It is a PMA'd battery in the stock location = logbook entry and Wt/Bal adjustment. Done.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I had seen that before and I want to believe that that is all it takes. Certainly makes since to me. Not sure there is any harm in it anyways. I will discuss with my A&P then maybe just see if the battery fairy happens to show up at my hanger.