Odyssey Battery

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Wow. The Odyssey website sucks! You can't search, just find by specific vehicle application. Just about any of the air parts suppliers carry them.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Look on the Hawker Battery or Enersys websites as they actually manufacture the battery... I think the Hawker site gives you the performance data, size info, etc, etc....

http://www.batterymart.com/p-hawker-sbs ... ttery.html
On Sale...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TomD
100+ Posts

Oddysey battery

Post by TomD »

After much searching I found this:

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/docu ... 5_0908.pdf

Looks to me that you give up duration of cranking, which jives with a previous post, but save weight and gain CCA vs say a Concord RG-35A or RG-35AXC.

I see a lot of conversation on using the J16 on 0-360 engines but not much on 0-540 engines.

TD

benflyn
100+ Posts

links

Post by benflyn »

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

WOW!!! 3.5lbs!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

So, what doe it all weigh after we engineer the stainless steel containment box?

Seriously though, it's wonderful to finally see such advancements in the battery department.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

There is no containment needed. These are sealed, ventless batteries. I was able to use the hold down supplied by the battery mfg. Aluminum and probably 0.25lbs of less.

TomD
100+ Posts

placement

Post by TomD »

You noted you installed this under the front passenger seat.

Did you install the battery horizontal? Run cables along fuselage or belly?

TD

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You can install battery in any direction you want for clearance issues or whatever, even upside down!!! If you buy their battery box (about $25) they work great and I cut the lip off top that holds in battery and use a large hose clamp that you can attach to battery box with counter sunk fasteners with counter sinks inside box, or use a longer hose clamp, go all the way around box and battery to secure. Otherwise you have to remove box to get the battery out, which is ok, depending upon access? They also sell some accessory lugs that allow battery cable lugs to be installed from most any direction without clearance, or unwanted ground issues if needed? Total weight savings about 15lbs as case weighs next to nothing. Up here, a field approval is required, but I've heard some parts of country down that way say no field approval required, just install... The battery will work fine with an O-540, an IO-540 on floats can sometimes be problematic, so with IO engines, I've installed a pair of batteries in parallel to assist with IO starts when hot as if you don't have the procedure down for hot start, it can sometimes take awhile. I've also done IO-540's with just one battery and it works fine with people experienced with their engine priming demands. They are great little batteries!!! Especially in cold climates! As for cables, I'd route under floor attached to airframe with butterflied Adel Clamps. Don't tie directly to airframe with clamps or zip ties as eventually insulation with chafe, and you'll end up with short to ground... I would also recommend you get rid of battery leads if aluminum and install copper cables, larger wire = less resistance, especially with your longer run...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Re: placement

Post by crbnunit »

TomD wrote:You noted you installed this under the front passenger seat.

Did you install the battery horizontal? Run cables along fuselage or belly?

TD
Yes, under the passenger seat, on its side with the top facing the center. This puts the positive post toward the rear so I can get a jumper cable on it if necessary. Hasn't been so far. Positive cable is under the floor and the ground is attached to a tab welded to a frame tube. The install saved me several pounds in cable alone.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

My IA had trouble getting a field aproval because the FAA man said it wasn't necessary if you use the FAA approved battery and mount it in the origional location. It is a minor alteration.
Jim has stated before that, that wont go in Alaska. I'm sure every FISDO is different and probably every inspector. Might be worth checking in your area. Might depend on the inspector that is writting you up at the time you get in trouble. :(
RT

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

RT wrote:My IA had trouble getting a field aproval because the FAA man said it wasn't necessary if you use the FAA approved battery and mount it in the origional location. It is a minor alteration.
Jim has stated before that, that wont go in Alaska. I'm sure every FISDO is different and probably every inspector. Might be worth checking in your area. Might depend on the inspector that is writting you up at the time you get in trouble. :(
Yes, and it's not uncommon to find varying opinions from FAA inspectors upon legality... My argument would be that this is not an "Approved" battery for the Maule, but is only approved on it's PMA for installation in PA18? Which requires field approval for this model? But if inspector says doesn't require field approval, I'd have him write a note with his response, see if he'll put that in writing, and if so, would do logbook entry, and keep copy of his NOTE in the aircraft records to cover both yourself and your IA from another interpretation. If he won't put in writing, I'd want to get it field approved as to me, that says he's not that comfortable with what he's saying and of course his name is on nothing? To some extent I would agree with your inspector that it's Minor Alteration, it's TSO'd / PMA'd battery, etc, etc, etc... Up here we still field approve all Odysey battery installation except the cub, and field approval is pretty easily done at local FSDO as we've done so many of them, that they're now pretty routine.
Jim

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks like my old Gill was installed in 2008 so if I'm going to do the Odyssey switch I better get on with it before I have to buy another 35A battery.

Are you guys who mounted under the right front seat mounting it on top of the floorboard and bolting the box to the plywood? If so, is the floorboard held down well enough to handle that? Where do you mount the master solenoid, on top of the floor or under it?

Thanks for the help.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine is mounted to the floorboard and yes, it is secure and not going anywhere. The master solenoid is bolted to the aluminum battery hold down. The positive cable goes through a hole in the carpet/board and is protected by a grommet. The negative is attached to a tab we welded to the cross tube under the seat. Works great and is pretty accessible as well.

I don't think I took any photos! I'll see if I did. They should still be on the camera.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Just talked to my friend (?) at local FSDO and he would like to do a field approval on the Odyssey. Guess since I opened this can of worms I should go ahead and clean it up.

Looks simpole enough but hate to go thru the whole electrical analysis. Would love to have a copy of someone's 337 who has done this or at least of a copy of stc SA02138AK for the cub which should have similar analysis. I can download the basics from FAA website but does not show the whole data.

Even an N# of an aircraft with 337 would help. Anyone willing to share?