Odyssey Battery

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Lawleraero

Odyssey Battery

Post by Lawleraero »

I'm getting close to needing a new battery and I'm very interested in the new Dry Cell battery from Odyssey (model SBS J-16). Listed at $171.95 from Spruce. It is half the weight of a RG-35 Concorde. Only 15lbs! Apparently some of you guys are already using it.

Is this the right model?

Which aircraft model/motor? Ive got a M-7-235. Battery is in the tail.

How does it work? Cold starts, reserve, etc....

How did you mount it? The battery mount would need to be modified as the battery is much smaller.

Any pictures or paper work you could post would help a bunch!

Thanks,
Tom

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Tom,

I have a M4 that I put a odyssey battery in about 7 months ago. It was one of the best mods I've done. The battery is airplane approved but only for the super cub last I was aware. Mine was done under a field approval. The other issue is the battery box that is used. There are two I'm aware of. The Attlee Dodge box and Burls battery box. I'ts important to choose the location of the battery and then decide which box to use because the way the boxes open can make a difference on how easy it is to get to the battery. Dodge makes one box that is specifically for installation under the pilot seat. There lots of other planes as well, including 180/185, Maules, Stinson's that have gone to this battery under a field approval so there should be plenty of info out there for your mechanic and his FAA contact to use. I moved mine to the firewall to get rid of weight in the tail and shorten up cable length between the battery and starter. I get WAY more cranking power, my battery gets warm when I preheat, and I got rid of some weight as well. If you have trouble with tracking down parts, talk to Stoddards or Reeve's here in Anchorage, they sell all the stuff together.

The only issues I'm aware of are some of the big engine maule guys are putting the battery under the seat instead of the firewall due to weight and balance.

MikeW

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Tom,
I have had the Odyssey for four years now. It is mounted behind the aft bulkhead as I have an early M-4. The battery I have is 9#. I replaced the POS Gill after the first time that bugger felt 10* it sucked it's breath and quit. Dead as a Smelt.
The little Odyssey is amazing and is getting moved forward this month. I was at the cabin just before New Years and at -29, it spun the engine over handily and with zero hesitation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in a flash when this one expires.
Now, Mike, if you get an opportunity, I would like to see where on the firewall you mounted your battery.
Live it like its your last day.

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery

Post by TomD »

I would like to see where on the firewall you mounted your battery.
My CG is pretty far forward but shortening the battery cable has always seemed like a good idea.

Curious to see the options.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

TOM!
How are you?

Yes, I'm looking forward to losing 6' or so of wire. I'll keep the same diameter but get rid of the unecessary resistance of the longer wire and of course, the weight.
Live it like its your last day.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Kurt,

I will try to post a picture at some point. It's a squeeze but doable. If your looking at the plane from the front, it's on the left side right up at the top, just under the cowl lip. I used a Burl's box as the front of the box has to come off and the battery comes foward to come out. It can't go up due to the cowl lip. I have a airwolf oil filter that we had to move to the right about six inches to make room so that was the only real hurdle. If your ever in Anchorage give me a pm and we can meet over at PALH.

Mike

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Take a look at the Odysey Battery box which only costs about $25 if I remember right, it's smaller then the Burl Box, much cheaper, and you're already doing the field approval so you can install most any structurally adequate box if you put it on the 337?? I have installed several of these requiring a little trimming and fabricating a battery hold down from a large hose clamp and attaching to the sides of the box.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Dragging up an old thread here, but searching old posts I've never found an answer to a question I have on the Odyssey battery.

Is the model SBS J-16 sufficient size for the O540-J1A5D?

I've got an M5-235 with a Concorde RG35 behind the aft bulkhead. Haven't run the CG numbers yet, but think it will have to stay in that location for CG.

Thanks,

Kirk

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, the J-16 will work fine, but of course does not have the total cranking amps of a full sized battery. I've done several in all kinds of larger engines, they do work better in extreme cold, last longer, hold charge better if you don't have a clock or some draw on it with everything shut off.... I've also hooked up 2ea of these on fuel injected float planes for the added cranking amps and with 2 in parallel, you can darn near crank engine fast enough to taxi it off batt power. Last field approval I did was for one of Jeremy's projects, you might ask him how it did? I've been running one for over 10yrs and like it, in 10yrs, I've had to hand prop mine once and that one was an older battery which required replacement... If you have a hard starting engine that requires a lot of abnormal cranking, it will run down, but that's the only downside I've had.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I've had an SBS J-16 mounted under the passenger seat. It is mounted on its side with an aluminum case securing it to the floor. Moved it from the back. Saved a lot of weight in battery and cable. Cranks fine on the IO-360 even in very cold temps.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I think I would like to do the Odyssey under the right front seat but how do you get to it to jump safely when you get caught away from home and need to?

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery

Post by TomD »

My M5 has an three prong APU plug on the rear bulkhead for accepting a jumper cable, I don't see why you could not route one of these to either the rear of the seat or outside the plane with a cover.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I really wanted to mount mine to the firewall. Under the passenger seat is a Maule approved location and my IA was more comfortable with that option. I have all the drawings if you need them or you could get them from Brian at Maule.

I have not had to jump mine. These batteries can be mounted in any orientation. I mounted the battery so the positive post was toward the rear and accessable under the seat mount. Any ground would do. I was thinking about the APU plug but don't think it is necessary.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

aero101 wrote:Yes, the J-16 will work fine, but of course does not have the total cranking amps of a full sized battery. I've done several in all kinds of larger engines, they do work better in extreme cold, last longer, hold charge better if you don't have a clock or some draw on it with everything shut off.... I've also hooked up 2ea of these on fuel injected float planes for the added cranking amps and with 2 in parallel, you can darn near crank engine fast enough to taxi it off batt power. Last field approval I did was for one of Jeremy's projects, you might ask him how it did? I've been running one for over 10yrs and like it, in 10yrs, I've had to hand prop mine once and that one was an older battery which required replacement... If you have a hard starting engine that requires a lot of abnormal cranking, it will run down, but that's the only downside I've had.
Thanks Jim,

I'll run it by my IA and see what he thinks.... Liked your website by the way. Got me to thinking about an Alaska trip my wife reminded me I promised her. Might be next year... A trip in a Maule on floats would keep me grinning for a week or so.

Thanks again,

Kirk

TomD
100+ Posts

Odessey

Post by TomD »

I am on the Odyssey battery website and cannot find a SBS J-16. Can someone hook me up with the appropriate site?

thanx
Tom