tail wheel spring

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
iceman
100+ Posts

tail wheel spring

Post by iceman »

Just received new alaskan Bushwheel tail spring to replace the one I have. I have a scott 3200-3 tail wheel and the spring came with one hole in the end. My scott has two bolts securing it to my tail spring. Has anyone else had this problem and if you are around WUP , do you have a spring with two holes. Also maybe it's just me but the angle of the Alaskan spring looks off. My spring has a arch to it where as the new one has about a 45 degree bend in the middle. Maybe after it's installed with weight on it it begins to flatten out a bit.... If no answer before the end of the weekend I'll call Alaskan on Monday but I figured I'd see if anyone knew the answers.
Iceman

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

My spring matched the Alaska one. It only had one hole and so did my Scott 3200. Not sure what you have going on there.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

hi JOHn, My Scott 3200 is a 3200-3 and it has two bolts holding it to the tail spring. Serial number on the scott is 2720.
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The normal Scott used on the Maules is the 3200 with one hole and a receiver for 1.75" wide spring. Seems like someone put the heavier duty two hole unit on your Maule and probably a Piper Pawnee curved spring.
Wup will fix you up I'm sure.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Thanks Jeremy, I'm learning whole bunches about my maule since I bought it a year ago. It's annual time. That's what I get for buying one from a Minnesota Farmer. ALso the tail spring on it now is a four leaf spring. Looks pretty heavy duty and is curved, but is starting to flatten a bit which is why I bought the new one.
Iceman

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Butch --

Yes you have a Pawnee spring and TW on your Maule. Check the Paperwork to see if and when it was approved on your airplane (no STC)
and go from there.

The Pawnee spring don't have the correct angle to it thats why you have the large spacer between the fuse and spring. 8)

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

right you are as usual Hotshott. It has a large spacer between spring and fuselage. I don't have shimmy or bad performance now but the angle is a little flat. THat's why I'm changing it prior to my trip up north. I don't want any problems cropping up in the idaho back country. Thanks again for your advice. You and Jeremy are the encyclopedias of Maule. Butch
Iceman

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

We try....Image

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Hottshot wrote:We try....Image

hey pal do not let that go to your head!!!! :lol:

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

jmtgt wrote:
Hottshot wrote:We try....Image

hey pal do not let that go to your head!!!! :lol:

TOOOOOOO LATEEEEE

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

OK new pawnee tail spring installed and the angle is much flatter but not as much up as the ideal I saw in your example Wup. It is just a shade down in the front of flat. I guess that's ok cause it's better than before and didn't shimmy before. I guess I'll live with that. :?
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Butch, make sure it cannot/doesnot move sideways or roll at the rear tailpost mount point or it can shear the forward mount bolt. Also check the security of the rudder horn (2 bolts) in the rudder as they get loose and then wallow out the holes.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Thanks Jeremy, My mechanic did the install and I'll relay all that info to him Springs are a little more snug than the old Installation. He's done a bunch of taildraggers in the past so I'm pretty sure it's ok but I'll run all that by him anyway. Butch
Iceman