Desperately Seaking a Progressive Maintenance schedule

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
calmflight

Desperately Seaking a Progressive Maintenance schedule

Post by calmflight »

I need to put my A/C on a progressive mx schedule schedule that can be approved by the FAA in lieu of a single annual. Rather than re-invent the wheel, is there anyone out there who has such a document? Need for USCG.Thanks Calmflight@optonline.net
US Coast Guard Aux Air( NYC area).
Aviation Psychologist, private practice special fear of flying program for Business flyers and children

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Most progressive inspection procedures I've seen are pretty much custom designed, usually dividing the scope and detail of an annual inspection, FAR 43, append 'D' into anywhere from 4 to 6 parts or subgroups of the airplane, such as power plant, airframe, avionics, etc, etc... The problem is there is no single generic program that would apply to all situations depending upon number of average hours flown, etc as there's ususally some overlap for such things as oil changes, etc... Makes a big difference on details if you're flying 100hrs a year or 800hr a year? And then the FSDO must approve the particular program proposed and all FSDO's have somewhat different approaches. I think you're going to have to do it yourself or find someone willing to do the legwork with the feds? Goodluck!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

2010 was an anomaly for me since Maule Flight did my annual while they were rebuilding my MX-7-180, but I usually do a progressive annual by dividing the tasks into major groups and doing one group per quarter. I like to have the cowlings off at least once a quarter to inspect the exhaust system for cracks and check all the hardware as well as change the oil and filter. This also allows me to combine my 100 hour inspections that are required for aircraft used commercially (air tours in my case).

The first of the four inspections checks compliance with all ADs and SBs and focuses on the airframe - removing inspection ports, kick panels, rear bulkhead and floorboards, inspecting and lubricating controls, pulleys, linkages and hinges, inspecting control surfaces, etc. This is the most labor intensive of the four inspections but I only want to remove and re-install all these items once. I do as much of the grunt work as possible under the IA's supervision to save money and stay familiar with the airplane.

One inspection is for the engine, exhaust, propeller and everything in the engine compartment.

One inspection is for landing gear, brakes and oleos.

The last inspection covers everything that wasn't included in the other three. There's an inspection guide in the Maule Maintenance Manual available at http://www.mauleairinc.com/maintenance_manuals.htm
Andy
1986 MX7-180

calmflight

Progressive

Post by calmflight »

Thanks for the info. I assume Andy you got the FSDO to go along with this. My FSDO doesn't seem to get it.
US Coast Guard Aux Air( NYC area).
Aviation Psychologist, private practice special fear of flying program for Business flyers and children

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

FAR 91.409 covers it for your FSDO- I think that their procedure generally requires you to put the program together and submit with a request in writing and viola, they should approve or review and ask for corrections as they see fit... Sounds to me like they're pulling your chain if they say they don't know what it is?

d) Progressive inspection. Each registered owner or operator of an aircraft desiring to use a progressive inspection program must submit a written request to the FAA Flight Standards district office having jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant is located, and shall provide--
(1) A certificated mechanic holding an inspection authorization, a certificated airframe repair station, or the manufacturer of the aircraft to supervise or conduct the progressive inspection;
(2) A current inspection procedures manual available and readily understandable to pilot and maintenance personnel containing, in detail--
(i) An explanation of the progressive inspection, including the continuity of inspection responsibility, the making of reports, and the keeping of records and technical reference material;
(ii) An inspection schedule, specifying the intervals in hours or days when routine and detailed inspections will be performed and including instructions for exceeding an inspection interval by not more than 10 hours while en route and for changing an inspection interval because of service experience;
(iii) Sample routine and detailed inspection forms and instructions for their use; and
(iv) Sample reports and records and instructions for their use;
(3) Enough housing and equipment for necessary disassembly and proper inspection of the aircraft; and
(4) Appropriate current technical information for the aircraft.

The frequency and detail of the progressive inspection shall provide for the complete inspection of the aircraft within each 12 calendar months and be consistent with the manufacturer's recommendations, field service experience, and the kind of operation in which the aircraft is engaged. The progressive inspection schedule must ensure that the aircraft, at all times, will be airworthy and will conform to all applicable FAA aircraft specifications, type certificate data sheets, airworthiness directives, and other approved data.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.