shoulder harness

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MauleWacko
100+ Posts

shoulder harness

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you have the non reel harness, and you have the fixed shoulder belts, you cannot operate the flap handle at the critical times when most needed as you have to release the shoulder strap so your head can hit the panel. The 3 point retract units are best as on impact the lower portion is automatically pulled tight across the pelvic bone structure, whereas the 4 point buckle gets pulled up into the soft gut area, unless you pull the side belts tight after the foam cushioning has fully depressed. Best of all is 5 point. M4 and early M5 only had a lap belt but those who crashed got panel impressions on there smiles.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have the fixed 4 point and it can be a pain to reach the flap handle. i set my shoulder belts as part of my pre take off. right one has to be looser than the left one so i can reach down. thats just for the 1st notch. 2nd notch is right there. wearing winter gear makes it worse.
still better than no shoulder belt at all.
M5-235

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Jeremy, I too need three point shoulder and seat belts. THe farmer put car belts with a real retractor in. GOtta get aircraft approved and I like the reel retractorl. Can you tell me which ones are the best. I see some for around 175.00 or so. Maule quoted me a 500 dollar price from their supplier. Maybe it was 600.00 anyway I'm not paying that amount for a seat belt.
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I don't know which are best. The strap length is most important as too long won't fully retract and too short won't go around some of our more robust pilots. Some of the strapping is thin and tends to curl on entering the reel, thus jamming it. You might get the Part # from Maule re the front seat belts and look aftermarket for prices. Maule has to mark them up to cover certification and R and D costs, pull tests etc etc.
Maybe others can chime in on what they have done.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tracey

sholder harness

Post by Tracey »

Has anyone found an aftermarket inertia reel sholder harnes? I am recovering and would like to ad a set.
Also, is a tail pull handle a needed addition while i have the frame open?
72' M-4 220

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

The tail pull handles are great. Pretty hard to move the airplane without them unless you lean on the fuselage when you try to break the tailwheel loose.

Kirk

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I bought a tow bar. Works pretty good but if I were doing fabric I'd do the Handle thing.
Iceman

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You don't have to do a fabric job to add grab handles, just open up the fabric with a sharp blade at the place you weld them on, shield with wet towels and spark guards, weld with TIG and put fabric back in place, joining seams with tape, shrink and paint.

Or, on the outer forward corner of the stabilizer is a gusset under the fabric, grip here to move the plane sideways and/or back. Push backward using outer side of upper arm with forearm running beneath stab and your hand curled towards your chest and up. Do not grip the leading edge, your body does the work while the other hand on the gusset does the guiding. No towbar to carry around and no extra weight/drag of grabhandles.

Maule is about to certify a new tang type 4 point harness with retract that does not pull up at impact, don't know the name yet, however you can buy the drawing for the welded overhead bracket tab and attach it if you have the headliner out.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've got the 4 point inertia reel harness. In my opinion the three point if it's an available option would be better. The 4 point is uncomfortable because they both come from one inertia reel and because of this they ride close to your neck and not on your shoulders. I feel that the three point would be safer as well.
I think my harness is made by Amsafe.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

was just surfing Maule's website and on the drop down menu "Modifications" found a pending mod for shoulder harness installation for M-4.

Here's the link: http://mauleairinc.com/modification_kit_index.pdf

Give 'em a call, oh and ask them about the M5 for me.

I'm not a big fan of 4 pt, far prefer 5 pt to keep the lap belt from riding up.

Kirk