406 MHz ELT Upgrade

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
RobH

406 MHz ELT Upgrade

Post by RobH »

We currently have an 121.5 ELT in our '06 MT7-235, mounted right behind the left seat. It is cool because it is one of the portables that can be easily removed from the airplane and carried as needed.

We would like to replace that with a 406MHz ELT withOUT adding another external antenna. From what we've been told, to do it without an external antenna we need to mount it behind the bulkhead, but then we need to add a switch on the panel (which we don't want to do).

Ideally, we'd like to mount a 406 ELT behind the left seat (usual location), have it be a portable one, and not have to add another external antenna (which costs more, adds drag, requires taking plane apart, etc.)

Anybody done this? Anybody upgrade to 406 yet?

thanks.

Rob
--

Rob
MT7-235
Redding, CA
PP-ASEL

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Rob, EBC has a 406 drop in replacement. Not the cheapest 406 but when you consider the labour to mount and wire another...........
I don't know if it needs a separate antenna. Call them, they'll tell you all I'm sure.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

We installed the EBC 406 in another airplane. It's not drop in, you have to change the mount tray as it's a little bigger. It does have a plug in antenna as well as fuselage mounted. We installed with the plug in antenna, and it does, in fact, work just fine. They do however recommend the external antenna which you could mount back inside the tailcone similiar to the Maule installation?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

N9657

Post by N9657 »

Switched to a 406 the last annual. The unit is mounted behind the baggage area and the switch replaced the ash tray.
Pilots aren't good cause their old, their old cause their good.

PhantomEagle

406 ELT

Post by PhantomEagle »

Installed last month behind the baggage area with the remote switch on left lower instrument panel. I have the installation guide/manual if you want speciifc answers.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I installed an Artex ME406 and antenna/ground plane upside down in the tailcone behind the rear bulkhead per the Artex/Maule drawings. Remote switch and audible alarm replaced the ashtray on the panel. With the new bulkhead arrangement there are no screws to remove, so it's relatively easy to remove the ELT. I say "relatively" because you have to wiggle around the tubing with one hand to release the elastic/velcro strap and then remove the connections. You still need a whip antenna on the ELT once it's removed and I haven't looked to see if you can easily remove the one that's mounted upside down on the ground plane. The Artex isn't the smallest thing to carry around either. I think it would be more practical to have a small PLB or SPOT Messenger to carry around.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

perry hartwick

406 MHz ELT Upgrade

Post by perry hartwick »

I have just purchased a new 406 ELT.
Does anyone know if the antenna can legally be installed inside the tail.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Depends on the ELT but yes it can. The antenna requires a certain size ground plain which can be supported between the fuselage side formers on adel clamps.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

Reviving an old thread- have a M5, originally an ACK E-01. Want to upgrade to an ACK E-04 as they are WAY cheaper than the Artex ME-406 used in the new Maule's.

1. The M5 doesn't have modern 406's listed on any MEL that i can find, so how do we LEGALLY install an ACK E-04? just a minor alteration IA signature required?

2. On a related note, i cannot figure out why the ACK is only $500ish yet the Artex are $1300 ish..... WHY??? anyone know?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Artex 345 is the best compromise. Comparably priced to the others and really like the remote switch. Does require a two pair cable to the front and wiring a couple connectors as opposed to plugging in a telephone cable. Think I feel better about that. Also, does not require a battery in the remote like most of the other low end ones does. The couple events of the 406 going off on the ground that I have seen was traced to the remote battery not lasting as long as advertised. Have done a couple Maules with antenna mounted in the tail. Good solid unit. Also sells for $500 ish.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Gary did a fantastic job on my ATX 345 install. Elt, & Antenna and ground plane to the left. It was installed around this time a year ago. Has worked great as far as I know.... I hope I never need to actually use it. :lol:
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C