patrol doors

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have considered the same, but I still want to be able to open the top window. Also full “glassâ€￾ is heavy.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

full glass with the window that can open/close with a gas spring.

I thought it be lighter than the aluminum frame around and the angles inside.
Still without the insulation and vinyl cover will be lighter than stock.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

freedom wrote:too bad all the pics in this tread are blurred or gone forever.
I'm considering covering the doors only with policarbonate eliminating the aluminum frame around.

I'm thinking of extending the glass about 1/2 in wider to overlap with the fuselage. And apply a weather strip on the excess to isolate the cabin.

any thoughts or recommendations?

This is how mine are done. It works well and gives you max visibility but I'm not sure I'd do it this way again as the overlap for the door seals has cracked in a few places. Especially vulnerable in the lower corners. I'd still go full glass but I'd probably use metal for the door seal area.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Make sure you chamfer the holes in the plexi. This will really help with the cracking. You also want to use a pop rivet with a broad head to secure it to the door frame.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

What seal did you use just a weather strip or something more exotic?

One of my concerned was the plexiglass getting cracks with the door slamming into the fuselage.

I was contemplating on using rivnuts and screws to avoid cracks over the fasteners.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I just used soft on sided sticky foam weather seal. Comes in lots of widths, thicknesses and densities. I actually have had no problems from the rivets and had no cracks from the assembly process. The problems started later and resulted in the lower rear corner of the passenger door being held in place by the sticky weather stripping and a small half moon out of the lower pilot's door. They are probably 10 years old now though with no other problems. Metal edges would fix the problem and if you only use metal that covers up to the door frame, visibility stays the same as full glass.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

How did you attach the door hinge to the door frame, on top of the plexiglass or did you cut a slot on the glass to have the hinge directly attached to the frame?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

A round hole for the stud and base and a slot for the hinge.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I’m going full glass on all 4 doors.
The 2 in the front the middle tube has been curved outside to leave more room in the cockpit.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Freedom, did you ever convert your doors?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

yes, unfortunately I had to stop almost 3 months ago on working on the plane due to Covid freedom of movement restrictions (which is funny considering my nickname). This afternoon will finally see my baby after all these months. The doors are basically done and I believe very functional, just need to paint all the aluminum parts. I've added a key lock on each individual door, with curved middle tube. Obsever window on the bottom, swing out window on top.

will post some pictures in the next days, as soon as I've time.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

I bought the parts from maule and just finished the pilot door of my M4. Very happy with the results. Just like factory with correct curve to the opening upper window and plexiglass. Will start the passenger door next.

Pecos

Patroller doors

Post by Pecos »

I bought the parts from maule and just finished the pilot door of my M4. Very happy with the results. Just like factory with correct curve to the opening upper window and plexiglass. Will start the passenger door next.

Pecos

Patroller doors

Post by Pecos »

Pecos

Patroller doors

Post by Pecos »