patrol doors

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MauleWacko
100+ Posts

patrol doors

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

There are a few ways but make them out of your doors is the best.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You can buy the drawing only from Maule, buy the materials locally and build and enter per Maule drawing spec.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Below is a copy of an email I got from Maule:
I need to know what year your plane is,also do you want a complete seat ,seat frame or the pan.
the obserers door rear, can be purchased , but it will need to be fitted to that plane. each door is hand crafted to fit each plane. You would be better of buying a lower door glass kit.PART #1352 $156.00 ATTACHED IS THE DRAWING
BRYAN HORN
Parts Dept.
Maule Air, Inc.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i just ordered .125" plexiglass from an aircraft supplier, and got some 1/2" aluminum angle stock and whipped them up in a couple days.
the plexi' i got cuts really easily with a 'wiz wheel' on a die grinder, and it even drilled easily.

before:

and after:

M5-235

rogerapfeifer

plexiglass front doors

Post by rogerapfeifer »

up m5,
the new doors look good. i did mine last year and i sure love the visablity.
it is real important on floats to watch the float rise out of the water on the take off run and to check water depth when taxing. did you have any problem with the lower box tube of the door when you made the change? mine were all rusted out on my m6 and i had to change that lower box tube on both doors. i drilled weap holes in the new ones to let any water out that might come in.
when do you fly out of ak? i live in anchorage and fly out of fire lake in the summer and off of birchwood in the winter (if i ever get on skis).
i have met yellowmaule of this forum. he lives in wasilla and is a real nice fellow and family.
later, rog pfeifer
x army helicopter pilot, in ak since 1970,flown maules since 79, own m4 and m6. most time on floats but have whls and skis. use plane mostly to hunt and fish. have been in most corners of ak and would be happy to share any knowledge

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I purchased the kit from Maule for the "patroller window" and "opening window" for my Maule. The tubing is in good condition. I was planning on having the new window frame and door frame powder coated prior to assembly. I need to re-paint the door skin, too. I will take some photos and post them when I get around to the project. :roll:
Regards, Don
1976 M5-235-C

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

rogerapfeifer,
my lower door box tube is also showing some corrosion. it wasn't bad enough to cut it appart and weld in a new one. but i will have to do that someday.

i work in talkeetna. i'll be headed up in about a week. i guess it's iditarod season and i have to go back to work 8) we'll have to get together. i'd love to check out your planes.

ryan~
M5-235

rogerapfeifer

anchorage

Post by rogerapfeifer »

ryan,
do you fly for an outfit out of tka or just summer there? also do you bring your plane up when you come? i climbed mckinley out of there bacin 82.
i get to tka once in a while to chase some fish up the clear creek. my wife and i have a cabin on horseshoe lake, just north of big lake so we spend some weekends there both summer and winter. i usually take the plane up there for those weekends in the summer so we can venture out during the day even if we are spending the nights at that cabin. i like to fly over to lake coghill in college fjord or to alexander creek or alexander lake for day trips. yellowmaule has a cabin on shell lake and we have been up there for a visit.
i run check point one for the iditarod and have for maybe 25 years. so next saturday i will be at the vfw in eagle river when the dogs come in. do you do any flying during and for the race?
later, rog pfeifer
x army helicopter pilot, in ak since 1970,flown maules since 79, own m4 and m6. most time on floats but have whls and skis. use plane mostly to hunt and fish. have been in most corners of ak and would be happy to share any knowledge

iceman
100+ Posts

patroler doors

Post by iceman »

I too am considering them for my M4. Called Maule today and they have a kit which includes drawings and plexiglass and angle stock. You have to cut everything but they said it is not difficult. Seems like a deal to me since everything aviation is mega bucks these days. Cost is $165.00 :lol:
Iceman

worzel

Post by worzel »

donknee wrote:I purchased the kit from Maule for the "patroller window" and "opening window" for my Maule. The tubing is in good condition. I was planning on having the new window frame and door frame powder coated prior to assembly. I need to re-paint the door skin, too. I will take some photos and post them when I get around to the project. :roll:
Regards, Don
Don

Did you ever post any photo's. I'm about to do my doors and would love to see some close ups.

cheers

Jeremy
M5-235 G-OJGT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

worzel wrote:
donknee wrote:I purchased the kit from Maule for the "patroller window" and "opening window" for my Maule. The tubing is in good condition. I was planning on having the new window frame and door frame powder coated prior to assembly. I need to re-paint the door skin, too. I will take some photos and post them when I get around to the project. :roll:
Regards, Don
Don

Did you ever post any photo's. I'm about to do my doors and would love to see some close ups.

cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I did the doors last summer I had both front doors done and the middle door. Below a picture of the right side.

By sojorrn, shot with COOLPIX L1 at 2009-01-29

Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

worzel

Post by worzel »

Bill

Many thanks, I've had a look at the drawings from Maule which look pretty comprehensive, however little is mentioned on method. i.e. technique for cutting out the shape in the existing lower door panel.

any chance of some closer pics on the inside ?

Jeremy
M5-235 G-OJGT