Extended baggage

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
UP-M5
100+ Posts

Extended baggage

Post by UP-M5 »

jeremy,
your post in another thread about installing an extended baggage sparked my interest.
i am finishing up the annual on my M5-235 and getting ready to fly it back to AK in march (from MI). an extended baggage for things like snowshoes, wing/canopy/tail/and engine covers, and the like would really help out. i already have a spare tailwheel tire and tube zip tied to some tubing back in the tail :wink:
do you (or anyone else out there) have any pictures or suggestions on how to go about this. this is something i could do over the next summer and possibly get a field approval from ANC FSDO.
any help :?:
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have seen it done many ways. Talk to Mel Wick at WickAir as he has done a number of them and knows his way through the 337 procedure. I believe he incorporated temporary swing away of the right lower V tube (to be relocked in place before flight).
Build it light at sides and top with a heavier elevated floor to clear the cables and use a quick release or telescoping tube around the flap cable. Keep cg forward by attaching on forward fuselage points and some cantilever to the rear. Seal it all around or cold air will be drawn into the cabin as in flight the cabin is a low pressure area.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide