Anybody know of modifications for tall guys?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
rjb
100+ Posts

Anybody know of modifications for tall guys?

Post by rjb »

Today, I showed off N9951, a 2006 MX7-180C, to a 6' 3" fellow concerned about space. With thin aero cushions and seat furthest back, his David Bruce headset would brush the headliner behind the skylight, if he didn't lean forward.

Of more concern, was that with both of us seated, the yoke was essentially locked unless we coordinated middle knees left or middle knees right. I'm a little bit above 6' 1'' and definitely not svelt. Fortunately, my wife is, so we have no problem but the prospective Maule owner has a linebacker brother he might like to fly with.

Have any Maule owners out there conquered this problem?

Thanks

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Give Maule a call. I believe they have a mod for extended seat rails that would probably help.

Mike

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

MikeW wrote:Give Maule a call. I believe they have a mod for extended seat rails that would probably help. Mike
Don't bother. All M5's come with a standard feature: If the right seat passenger (probably an instructor) utters the words: "Let me show you....", the latch automatically releases and tosses the offending person into the nether regions of the aircraft. The pilot thereafter may proceed to control the aircraft in a manner which he deems fit. I just dunno why Belford never included this in the POH.....
M5-210TC

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Maules prior to the '90s have a diferent seat than the later ones which goes further back and down.
All the seats can be setup for different sized people by changeing seat cushioning.
Maule factory does not have a mod however it is a fairly simple job after market to modify the seat to go back further and lower.
The width of a Maule is measured the same as a C182, but seat travel is different in each so it is not as easy to stagger the shoulders for two big people though it can be done.
We have accomodated pilots to 6'7" in Maules.

Mauler, if your seat came off its track, it was not in it in the first place as there is a positive stop for rearward movement and if the battery is under right front seat then there is an operator manipulated stop under right front of the co-pilot seat which may be worn out. A spring holds it in the locked position.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

calmflight

TALL GUY MODS

Post by calmflight »

www.maulemods.com they have it.
US Coast Guard Aux Air( NYC area).
Aviation Psychologist, private practice special fear of flying program for Business flyers and children

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, I remember my first Maule flight, Instructor said "I've got the airplane, let me show you how that's done" and immediately dissappeared out of site! I once did the same with a student in a C185 and it's not a good feeling! I learned at that time, it's good idea after you adjust seat into detent, use the lower body for a good firm fwd / aft shove to verify seat is actually fully in detent. Not a good thing to find out it's not just after rotating on takeoff or upon landing and touching the brakes!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

memayo

Post by memayo »

maules.com wrote: We have accomodated pilots to 6'7" in Maules.
Any pics of the mods you have done to accommodate a 6'7" pilot?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The later seats on later models allow more room. They go further back at base and are slightly higher in the backrest.
Cushioning ranges in old M4 and 5s to the latest seats from 5" of foam to 1.5" of conforfoam. This makes a huge difference in legroom (backrest thickness) and in height (seat cushion)
I don't remember when the seat changed, but early '90s I think.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I’m 6’5â€￾ and the M4 is not as comfortable as I would like. But I’ve gained a bit of weight and that certainly affects the situation. I have ultra thin cushions by Oregon Aero which help massively. I would still love about 1â€￾ more seat travel and maybe a notch in the left lower panel For my knee as well as moving the throttle etc up to the main panel rather than the lower panel.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I installed a drop section in my floor for the pilot’s heels. Makes a surprising amount of difference in knee room.

See this is thread, page 2, about half-way down for photos.

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... r&start=15

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I installed a drop section in my floor for the pilot’s heels. Makes a surprising amount of difference in knee room.

See this is thread, page 2, about half-way down for photos.

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... r&start=15

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Headliner, just read the initial post and there's your problem. Trade that headliner for a Super Skylight and instant headroom. Seldom fly with the shade rolled back but sure do appreciate the extra headroom that the skylight affords.