AirGizmo Panel Dock GPS Mount?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Aerobatix

AirGizmo Panel Dock GPS Mount?

Post by Aerobatix »

Has anyone installed the Airgizmo panel dock for the Garmin portable GPS systems? What's involved and was any "special paperwork" required in order for this to be "legal?"

Thanks

pitts10ch

air gizmos

Post by pitts10ch »

I understand that some FSDO's will allow a 337 and others will not. Check with your local mechanic and see if your local FSDO will allow them or not. Apparently Chicago does.

Chris

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

One exceptionally cool option that apparently can be done with the Gizmo is connecting the496 to another Garmin 430 or 530 and being able to crossload flight plans.

That way you can load a route etc at home and plug it in rather than doing while you're sitting there draining the battery or engine or even worse, while trying to taxi.

Aerobatix

337 from the Piper forums

Post by Aerobatix »

I was browsing the Piper forums looking for others experience with the Airgizmo in ceritifed aircraft. One pilot recently had an installation in a Aztec and filed the 337 forms to make it legal.

He offered copies of his 337 in an effort to help others. I have a copy from him but I wonder how to go about the process of having one done for my Maule. Is this a simple form that can be copied and completed by an A/P for submission.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a newer pilot and haven't had anything like this done before. I have the 496 and LOVE the utility of the XM weather and TFR reporting but I HAYE yoke mounting. I've also got the Airgizmo and a power cable to connect to aircraft power. I want to install these but want to be legal as well.

Ant advice on the process? Also, with a copy of an approved 337 is this a simple and painless process wth the FAA?

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i would recommend getting together with your IA or avionics shop (whoever you would have doing the work) and ask them, since they are the ones that will have to submit the 337 for field approval. they will know your local feds and have a better idea of what they will or won't approve.
the 337 from the aztruck that you have won't help much if any. its the installation in your specific panel that requires approval, including the rerouting and repositioning of any exsisting components and the hard wiring of the dock to your electrical bus.
M5-235