Flaps

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Ian

Flaps

Post by Ian »

Does anyone out there have an opinion re: the flap spring cartridge? I have an 85' MX7-235 that I bought a little over a year ago. At first I could not understand why the flaps would not extend fully then after much head scratching and flying I realised that they come down only when slowed to very low speed. Is there a structural reason , flying characteristics, or what?? What would the plane fly like without the cartridge. As I said I have only had the plane a year and haven't logged a hell of alot of time yet - 40 hours- I have alot of flying and learning to do in the Maule so far enjoying every minute.

Ian
Best Regards

Ian

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

I think it is there to avoid over loading the flap linkage with full deflection at too high of air loads. Full flaps are for low speeds.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To back up 9V, yes the cartridge is there to prevent overload as pilots cannot be trusted to maintain apropriate airspeeds as is demonstrated by the wear impinged on the M5 flap mechanism which has no cartridge. Why would one want to remove the cartridge and produce unnecessary strain on the hinges, pushrods,bearings,torquetube etc. The aircraft operations manual limits flap actuation speed as do all manufacturers. For common sense I max limit flap actuation to; 90mph-24deg, 80mph-40deg, 70mph-48deg. The flap will be fully down in 48deg setting when the aircraft slows to 55mph as can be seen through the rear window and corrolated with your airspeed indicater. If it is not reaching full travel until a slower speed or not atall then your cartridge is stretched and needs replacing and/or your flap mechanism is out of rig.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o