8.50 Tires / Double Puck Brakes

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Good, glad you got the BFR done! I know the 210 not specifically shown, but it does cover all the models between I'm sure. You can confirm that with Maule, but the equipment list for all M5's is the same, I do believe? And the Maule website is the official source for this paperwork.... Maybe Duane at Maule Air can confirm?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Looking into this, I found that the M-5 210C has a different R.E.L. than the Lycoming engine models.

I will work on getting our I.T. guy to post it on the Maule site. But if you need it faster, shoot me an email at the below address and I can send it to you in pdf format.

belandd
100+ Posts

REL

Post by belandd »

Got it!

Thanks for the good service Duane

I am now legal.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

fairbanksflyer

Post by fairbanksflyer »

I looked at that required equipment list, and at the top it lists the aircrafts. I don't see the M4-220C listed. Does it have it's own list?

fairbanksflyer

Post by fairbanksflyer »

I looked at that required equipment list, and at the top it lists the aircrafts. I don't see the M4-220C listed. Does it have it's own list?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Probably so. I think that list is only for the Lycoming engined A/C. Mikey just called me and I think the M-5 210 list is or very soon will be on the website, I'll check into the M-4 Franklin.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Ok.. found the M-4 220 R.E.L. Mikey has been quite busy lately, so if you need it faster, just shoot me a mail

belandd
100+ Posts

TREL

Post by belandd »

Thanks!
Valdez, AK.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

If I come across some used 8.50's, I think I'll give them a try.
1975 Maule M5-210C

belandd
100+ Posts

8.50 Tires

Post by belandd »

I think the 8.50 tires will be fine until I develop a need for bigger (more expensive) ones.

I bought new tires and tubes but ended up with two sets of used 8.50's with tubes and of course the wheels and brakes I removed.

They are all for sale and will be listed on E Bay after the 26th when I return home.
Valdez, AK.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I had 8.50s for about 2 months. Thought they were great then a set of 29-10x10 showed up at my shop. No way would I waste the money on the 8.50s. When landing off airport the shock absorption and float of the bigger tires is a blessing. Makes the ride that much smoother and that much easier on the airframe. I am going on 3 years on the first set of 29s and I do a lot of touch and goes on pavement to keep my self amused. They are well worth every penny.

just my $.02...

John

belandd
100+ Posts

8.50's

Post by belandd »

jmtgt

When I get my other operational problems sorted out and some time in the air I will probably follow your recommendation.

After all, that is why be bought these beasts in the first place.

FUN FUN FUN!
Valdez, AK.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A word on position of calipers.
If mounted on the rear, a little rock protection, but have you ever really damaged a caliper on the front.
Mount on the front for one big reason; when crosswind landing, or if imposing a side load on the tyre, it flattens and squeeezes inboard at the bottom. The tyre is rotating forward at the top and thus rearward at the bottom, so when squeeged inwards with the caliper on the rear, the tyre contacts the caliper at the bleed nipple and tears a groove or worse, snags it and causes a ground loop. Take a look at any groundlooped Maule with caliper on the rear and you will see what happens to a tyre even if the tyre has normal pressure.
The 10" wheel is the only system that can protect the tyre caliper contact potential.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

belandd
100+ Posts

Brake Position

Post by belandd »

Thanks

Forward and slightly down is where they will be mounted.
That is until I can aford the hevy duty legs.
Valdez, AK.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Forward and UP...