shoulder harness??

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

brokenaero wrote:If the crotch strap stops all that energy...................well you and the twins might have wished there was submarining instead. :oops:
Your body never comes in contact with the crotch strap. It keeps the lap belt low, where it should be and helps the shoulder harness catch sooner and tighter.

I've got the 3 point and it is comfortable. I think it is a fairly good restraint, though a lot of accident reports show injuries when some side force gets the body to the side of that one shoulder strap, allowing the upper body to flail.

Kirk

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

There shouldn't be any impact to the anti-sub straps in our application but I have seen some pretty devistating injuries to race car drivers who operate in a more "reclined" possition. It is relly nasty. :shock:

eeairshows

Post by eeairshows »

This post is primarily for the member "Gear". You mention that your shoulder harness is mounted to the floor. This is very. VERY, dangerous. The mounting points for shoulder harness' should NEVER be more than an inch or two below the shoulders of the tallest person who will sit in that seat, and really the goal should be no lower at all. The danger from low mountings is spinal compression. In a crash the harness is pulling down on your shoulders. People can, and have, been paralyzed from this. I believe that Mooneys once had floor mounts and there was an AD to remove them, though it might not have been an AD. I, personally, would rather have no shoulder restraints at all than ones mounted to the floor.... and I am fanatically pro shoulder harness.

My personal preference is for solid mount 5 points, assuming that you can reach everything in the airplane you need to. I'm just not a fan of inertial reel restraints..... they are just one more thing to go wrong when you are already having a bad day. I am a big fan of lap belts that allow you to adjust both sides of the belt, because this keeps your shoulder harness centered. Really handy for passengers of varying sizes, but great even for exclusively owner flown aircraft just for the difference between summer and winter clothing.

gear
100+ Posts

Post by gear »

eeairshows wrote:This post is primarily for the member "Gear". You mention that your shoulder harness is mounted to the floor. This is very. VERY, dangerous. The mounting points for shoulder harness' should NEVER be more than an inch or two below the shoulders of the tallest person who will sit in that seat, and really the goal should be no lower at all. The danger from low mountings is spinal compression. In a crash the harness is pulling down on your shoulders. People can, and have, been paralyzed from this. I believe that Mooneys once had floor mounts and there was an AD to remove them, though it might not have been an AD. I, personally, would rather have no shoulder restraints at all than ones mounted to the floor.... and I am fanatically pro shoulder harness.

My personal preference is for solid mount 5 points, assuming that you can reach everything in the airplane you need to. I'm just not a fan of inertial reel restraints..... they are just one more thing to go wrong when you are already having a bad day. I am a big fan of lap belts that allow you to adjust both sides of the belt, because this keeps your shoulder harness centered. Really handy for passengers of varying sizes, but great even for exclusively owner flown aircraft just for the difference between summer and winter clothing.
Thanks for the post. When I bought the plane (first time owner), I was told by the seller's AME that the existing shoulder straps (3 point) were realy old and should be replaced. He indicated that the "4 point" shoulder straps that he could mount to the floor behind the seat were much cheaper and he talked me into them. Not knowing any of this that I know now, I went for it.

I am in the process of going back to the 3 point system. I appreciate your feedback.

garth
'78 M5-235C, Edo 2440's

eeairshows

Post by eeairshows »

Glad to be of service. Have fun, be safe, and here's to never needing your shoulder restraints!