Crankcase replacement or engine swap on 1964 M4 210?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

You would have to call the parts man at western skyways.
I overhauled the engine with an A&P IA up the road from me. It ended up as a 0 time since major overhaul with about 1700 TT. to service limits. It would have been nice to put new cylinders on it but it cost way to much as it was. It runs nice and has pretty good power. I don't know what it would cost to change over to a 540 Lycoming but knowing what I do now I would look into it. Not saying I would convert it but would sure look into it. That gets to be a real can of worms also.
If the rods on your engine were updated 400 hrs ago maybe the oil pump was too. If you wanted to put a new case on the engine you have and not call it an overhaul you wouldn't have to replace all the parts on the manditory replacement list. You would be at 400 SMOH but it would save you alot of money.
RT

THE MACHINIST

Post by THE MACHINIST »

I am considering doing what you said replace the case go with new bearings rings have the cylinders honed and the valves checked out anything needing done have done to the cylinders. Do the Required AD's of course. Starting with essentially a 400 hour motor doesn't seem too bad there should still be plenty of life left.

I still think it is asinine to replace a low hour serviceable crankshaft that is fine because of 8 failures and 5 of said 8 were on the turbo version of the IO360. With more reading I have also found there were issues with the early VAR cranks as well. So it is hard to know what you are getting and a lot of money to find out.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me sort out my situation.

Jamie

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

Found this and its interesting. Any of you ever read this?
http://www.avweb.com/news/atis/184427-1.html?type=pf

THE MACHINIST

Post by THE MACHINIST »

That AD sounds like corporate greed and government complicity plain and simple.

I have found a couple of complete engines from Cessna T41's with low hours since major that are in Indonesia from the Indonesian air force. Is there any problem getting them "certified" for use one of them is a D model other than the normal hassle of importation?

Thanks

Jamie

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Definition of an AD

We screwed up, and you are going to pay for it.

Ever heard of anything like that on anything other than an airplane? Can you imagine if the news came out that all Toyota's built in the last couple of years had a defective part, the law required it to be replaced, and you were going to foot the bill?
AD's are a very good way to make money, plain and simple.

THE MACHINIST

Post by THE MACHINIST »

seems that way

Does anyone have any clue as to what if anything it might take to put that D model back into service on an m4 other than translation of the logs.

Thanks

Jamie

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

. :shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE MACHINIST

Post by THE MACHINIST »

This is the one on barnstormers. I am doing as much research as a I can before I pull the trigger.