Elevator Gap Seal

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n1264d

Elevator Gap Seal

Post by n1264d »

Just finished an extensive annual and was able to fly today. During the annual I re-covered the tailfeathers and haven't replaced the elevator gap seal yet. If anyone was wondering, the gap seal kit makes a big difference in elevator authority. I never understood why people had to add power to flare. After my first couple of bounces I understand! It also seems I had to use more trim as most landings were to full trim. I would recommend the gap seal kit to all. Maule sells it cheap compared to other mods. I can't imagine flying on floats without the upgrade.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

I second that emotion. :D I put them on a few months ago. The best fifty bucks you can spend on a Maule.
1975 Maule M5-210C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

N1264. Try using little or no up elevator trim and muscle instead.
What the trim tab does is take away elevator effectiveness and exacerbates the problems that take place in the case of a full power go around.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go next time. I guess I can tell the wife that would be my exercise for the day.

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

maules.com wrote:N1264. Try using little or no up elevator trim and muscle instead.
Now we're talkin. A gym in the sky. Bye Bye curls hello touch n gos.
:D

Thanks Jeremy I too shall give this a try and report back. I have tried reduced trim but not "no trim".

I installed the gap seals a couple of years ago (as per Jeremys recommendation) and would definitely recommend them.
1987 M5-235C

belandd
100+ Posts

GAP Seals

Post by belandd »

I recieved my gap seal but not the instructions for the installation. I will have to call Bryan in the morning
Maybe he can email them to me.
I want to get them installed.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.