M5/3-blade prop/Aqua 2400s

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
kbbell

M5/3-blade prop/Aqua 2400s

Post by kbbell »

Do I need some weight on the tail of my M5/235C when I'm on Aqua 2400s with a McCauley 3-bladed prop? I get the nose-in feeling more often than I'd expect.

Bill
Bill/MN

TomD
100+ Posts

Aquas and three blade

Post by TomD »

Do you have the original Razorback or have you recovered w/ Ceconite?

When I recovered w/ Ceconite my M5 CG ran forward quite a bit. I also have a three blade Mac

The first time I landed it on floats, same as yours, it "caught my attention".

You probably should never fly on floats without a tool kit or heavy first aid kit at the rear of baggage compartment.

As the tanks get empty that big chunk of iron and prop pulls the CG really close to or beyond the front CG limits if you are by yourself.

Once you load the cargo areas it takes off and lands great.

TD

kbbell

Post by kbbell »

Mine has been recovered, I'll check on the old vs. current w&b.

Why do I need a 10 lb weight mounted to the tail spring when I'm on wheels, but not on floats? I thought it helped balance the extra weight of the 3-bladed prop, but it was 337'd 10 years before the prop was installed.

Bill
Bill/MN

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The Aqua Floats tend to be somewhat sticky on the noses anyway, but I've found with mine that I carry a 45lb survival / tool kit loaded as far aft as allowed by the bulkhead, it pretty much eliminates the tendency to stub the toes of the floats? It can sure get your attention!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

N949JH

M5 with Aqua 2400s

Post by N949JH »

I have the same problem, but only when I'm light. Scared the bejabbers out of me a few times, then I tried landing with no flaps. Makes all the difference in the world.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i thought i would bring this old subject up again...

i have about 15 hours in my M5-235 on aqua 2400's with a 2 blade and realize the potential for stubbing the toes. i was just curious what everyone else is using for a technique to avoid this. here are my observations:
flying the plane alone- it never feels grabby on the noses.
3 or 4 souls onboard- lands great
2 people in the front seats- you better be ready for the forward pitching before it happens.
i have found that landing with 20 degrees flaps works well (although it feels waaaay too fast).
i found that feeding in some nose up trim on short final helps.
also, bumping in a little power after the transition to level flight and before touchdown helps.
of course i have a large tool box and survival gear in the back for ballast.

another local guy with an M7-235 puts the 2nd passenger in the back seat if there are only 2 of them. that would fix it, but it seems like there is a better answer.

any other helpfull hints? speeds, flap settings, other???

anybody else on floats this summer????
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I think you've covered all the bases, presuming your tail is gapsealed.
You could use 40deg flaps to get a slower approach, but don't apply much if any up elevator trim which will give you more elevator authority when you add that bit of power.
You could talk to Brad or Terry Clagget at Aqua about a different set of struts which set the plane back a little but that will compromise the full load performance and of course your wallet.
Though I've never used it, there is a slick bottom tape available also but I imagine it would get damaged on the beaches.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide