Airstreaks

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n1264d

Airstreaks

Post by n1264d »

I have another thread on Schneider racing slicks going but was wondering if anyone has put a pair of Airstreaks on the Maule. Looking for bigger tires than 8.50x6 until I can get a pair of bushwheels. Any paperwork floating around I could get a copy of?

Thanks,

Andy

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Are you talking about blimp tires? Approval is easy, Jeremy has copies of previously approved 337's, but I think they are about $800 or so. I would wait and put that money towards bush wheels if that's where you are going anyway. Blimp tires aren't bushwheels and now that there is a 10" wheel STC'd the 29x11 - 10 4 ply airhawks are the way to go if your on pavement a lot.

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Trying to get ahold of Jeremy. I am talking about the older Airstreak tires that came in a 30". I think it was Goodyear that made a 30" tire. Some of the cub drivers had/have Airstreaks although I don't think they are made anymore.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

goodyear airstreaks come in 30 and 35". i have seen lots on cubs, but none on maules. i believe they do not have a TSO approval which means that nobody will field approve them.
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have not seen the old 30 and 35 airstreaks officially fitted to Maules. In the '70's I did see the icebreaker version 337'd on one but don't have a copy.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

UP-M5 wrote:goodyear airstreaks come in 30 and 35.

"Airwheels" is the correct name on those.....

Geez Ryan, I thought you were schooled up on this stuff... :lol:

BudG
100+ Posts

Airstreaks

Post by BudG »

I have the Airhawks 29x11-10. They are $400 a piece. I think they are a little heavier than bushwheels because of the heavier tread for pavement. I probably got about 50-60 landings on them now, mostly on pavement, and they seem to be holding up pretty good. I'm running them at about 11psi. They hang from AK Bushwheel heavy duty gear. I am noticing them wearing just a tad on the outside. I'm not sure if it's unavoidable because of the gear or just running them at the wrong pressure for pavement. When I've landed on grass, especially wet grass, The braking is fun. It starts to fishtail if I get on the brakes too much.
Hey WUP. Say Hi to everyone at AKB for Me and the Wife. I dropped my M5 off at Mike Butterfield, Yakimaaerosport for it's annual.
Bud and Geri
N6VD

Cavu2U

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

UP-M5 is correct in that the airstreaks are not TSO'd and I don't think you'd ever get a field approval to install anymore even with a previously approved 337 from a few years ago as supporting doc... The feds new policy is they must be TSO'd tires...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Re: Airstreaks

Post by Green Hornet »

BudG wrote:I have the Airhawks 29x11-10. They are $400 a piece. I think they are a little heavier than bushwheels because of the heavier tread for pavement. I probably got about 50-60 landings on them now, mostly on pavement, and they seem to be holding up pretty good. I'm running them at about 11psi. They hang from AK Bushwheel heavy duty gear. I am noticing them wearing just a tad on the outside. I'm not sure if it's unavoidable because of the gear or just running them at the wrong pressure for pavement. When I've landed on grass, especially wet grass, The braking is fun. It starts to fishtail if I get on the brakes too much.
Hey WUP. Say Hi to everyone at AKB for Me and the Wife. I dropped my M5 off at Mike Butterfield, Yakimaaerosport for it's annual.
Bud and Geri
N6VD

Cavu2U
Are the wheels 1010's? or ???
I assume you can change off to Airstreaks during the summer if you want?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

can you use these 26 inch goodyears on a maule?
http://www.skygeek.com/tundra-tires-and ... tires.html
1975 Maule M5-210C

BudG
100+ Posts

29x11x10's

Post by BudG »

Green Hornet:
Sorry I took so long to get back on this thread. The tires are for the 10 inch wheel. The tire is 29in. dia. They stay on the same wheels. I have 600X6 wheels and tires that I interchange for winter flying. The AKBushwheel HD gear axels are the same so the wheels are interchangable. Jack up, brakes off, wheel off and reverse. Its great. I did have to go with the larger discs for my 6in. but that was just a change over. Everything fit. It's getting a little dryer up here in Wa. so by June I'll be switching over again.

By the way, I thought your videos with your new cam were great. Keep it going.

CAVU2U

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Re: 29x11x10's

Post by Green Hornet »

BudG wrote:Green Hornet:
Sorry I took so long to get back on this thread. The tires are for the 10 inch wheel. The tire is 29in. dia. They stay on the same wheels. I have 600X6 wheels and tires that I interchange for winter flying. The AKBushwheel HD gear axels are the same so the wheels are interchangable. Jack up, brakes off, wheel off and reverse. Its great. I did have to go with the larger discs for my 6in. but that was just a change over. Everything fit. It's getting a little dryer up here in Wa. so by June I'll be switching over again.

By the way, I thought your videos with your new cam were great. Keep it going.

CAVU2U
Bud,
No problem about the delay. Thanks for the inputs I am using 850X6 presently and still pondering the change over.
Thanks for the comments about the video and the encouragement is appreciated. I am hoping to get some good footage this summer. Some CA., NV., UT., ID. and OR.
Fly Safe
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT