M 5 Airframe modifications for floats installation?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Speedy

M 5 Airframe modifications for floats installation?

Post by Speedy »

Hello,

I have a log book entry in my airframe manual signed by the chief inspector of Maule Aircraft Corp. R.L. Abramz (last name hard to read) on 16 May 1974,the date the aircraft was put in service, that says:
"Note: This airframe has not been modifed for floats."

What does that mean? What would be required to be able to put it on floats?

While I have no specific intent to put it on floats, nor a float-environment where I live currently, I was dreaming of it from time to time.

Speedy

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hi Speedy,

Back in the ancient times of Maule, the float reinforcements were an option and not standard equipment. There is a mod kit for some weld in pieces to strengthen key tubes in the structure. Look at downloads at www.Mauleairinc.com for the appropriate mod kit.

If you arn't in any hurry to beef up the structure, might want to wait till recover time to do this as it would be much easier to do at that time.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have talked to guys who have added the float reinforcements with the fabric still on, and they will never do it again. it is a job to do when the fabric is off. but it can, and has been done both ways.

you will need to get yourself a copy of the fuselage basic structure bill of materials p/n 1203A, float plane structure modifications dwg 9001F sheet 1 and 2, dwg 9151B for the lifting eyes, dwg 3220E for the dual horizontal stab struts, dwg 9020B for the ventral fin, and dwg 1350B if you are going with weld on rear float fittings. these drawings, once decoded, show you what needs to be done to the fuselage. then you will need the install drawings for the make of floats that you end up with.

my M5 (1980 model) had a partial float kit from the factory. it had all the oversized/ reinforced tubes already in place, but did not have the steel plate welded in under the rear and cargo doors. this is where the bill of materials comes in- it lists each individual tube in the fuselage by diameter and thickness- for both float reinforced, and non float reinforced options.
hope this helps.
M5-235

belandd
100+ Posts

Float Kit

Post by belandd »

I had my done by a welder. I also had to install the brace that goes between the front of the main gear across under the fuselage.

We did it with out removing much of the fabric. It was long ago but I don't remember it as being that bad.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Thank you, all! At least I know what to do should a fabric replacement come up before the idea of putting it on floats has materialized.
Speedy