Fleet 2500's

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Fleet 2500's

Post by crbnunit »

Anyone have any info about fleet 2500 floats? I can't find any information with a web search.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have a feeling these are the foam filled floats.
If so the foam can become waterlogged and they become extremely heavy. Ask the M4-220 driver who went off the end of Fairbanks floatpond and into the trees many years ago
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yep, those would be the ones. I got a set with the plane. The previous owner opened the floats and started removing the foam. The garbage bags with the waste weighed in at about 30# each. Pretty impressive for foam that should weight next to nothing.

I guess my question is whether the floats are salvagable. I don't know how structural the foam was. If I could use something else, like air bags, to displace any water that got in and reseal them... Any spray in, non-porus foam products out there?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Only 30lbs?? The other fellow weighed his at 600 between them, or that was the story. He and son walked away from wreck.
I don't know how you'd get into the compartments.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Nooo. That was about 30# per bag of removed foam with about 5 bags per float. These had not been in the water for a while either.

This is how he decided to do it.

I don't know if these are salvagable or not. I was hoping someone here would have some experience with them... Crashing aside!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

There was a place down in Minn that was certifying some 2,000's, 2400's that were foam filled composite, but they must have folded as I can't find their website anymore. There are several foam filled items on market for the ultralight aircraft, experimentals... Might be worth a little research to see what kind of foam is now in use? There may be something with higher density, high tech available these days, but I've seen several instances of use on floats, docks, and boats and same problem in the end... They soak up water like a sponge!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.