Maule Bolt-on Shoulder Harness Brackets?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
James

Maule Bolt-on Shoulder Harness Brackets?

Post by James »

Hello,
I'm trying to install a set of bolt-on shoulder harness brackets on my 1973 M-4. Do the brackets face back to the tail with the aileron cables threaded though the brackets or forward?

The brackets didn't come with any installation instructions. If the brackets are mounted facing forward, they need to be installed at an angle so the bolts and or brackets don't rub on the aileron cables too. There is also a very limited space to work though a zipper in the headliner.

I have purchased two 4-point harnesses with inertia reels. Any advise, instructions, or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

James
Spokane

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The last set bolt-on set I installed, the strap that wraps around the frame tube with the bolt on fwd side and attached inertial reel at that bolt as well. In order to clear cables, cant the attach bolt - inertial reel downwards at about a 40 to 45 degree angle which will put the reel outside the headliner which is about the only way to clear all the cables on an M4? This kind of depends upon which kit you got and from whom as the bracketry varies considerably from different vendors?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hi James,

It can be quite the challenge installing them with the headliner in place, but can be done.

The brackets are installed facing forward with the cables running behind.
Make sure you install the bolts from the rear forward as the nuts can pose a clearance issue. The bottom of the plate should align with the headliner to make for a flush installation of the belt. The belt itself is installed with the straps coming out the front.

If you email Bryan at Bryan@mauleairinc.com he can send you a pdf file of the install print. They should have included that in the kit.

Good luck and if you have any problems, feel free to ask.

Duane
Duane@mauleairinc.com

James

Thanks!

Post by James »

Thank you for the information! Maulepilots.org is a great source of information. I have attached some pictures too.

James
Spokane

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Haven't seen this installation yet, is this the maule kit? How much is the kit with belts, etc?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Yep. its the maule kit. not sure on pricing as we have 3 different belts approved for the 4 point .. Bryan can help you out with that info if you want

Duane

Screech

Post by Screech »

I installed this kit 6 months ago. Duane is right, make sure you start with the back bolts first.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The only problem I have with that installation is it puts the straps right up against the back of your head. Not very comfortable. The way those brackets are designed, it puts the reel almost directly overhead. I'll start on mine as soon as it warms up a bit.