Super wing

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
BUZZ

Super wing

Post by BUZZ »

This may be old news to some, but I was on Maule mods' website today for the first time in a while and was excited to learn about Johans new super wing version 2.0. A 36' wing featuring slats and wingtips that supposedly will up the gross wieght of the maule to 3400lbs. Wow. Don't know a whole lot more about it or if I'll ever be able to afford it but sure is cool to know that there are people out there making super mods to an already awesome airplane. Has anybody else heard about this mod that may know more about it?
Nick Buzby
1985 M5-235C
Wasilla, AK
4th generation Alaskan, and proud.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Nope, never heard of it, and I would be REAL surprised if the FAA actually blessed off an upgross of that magnitude. A little bird tells me there is more to increasing the gross weight by that much than just a wing, a lot more. Like by the time your through, it's pretty much a new airplane :lol:
But, I'm a pessimist. I wish him luck.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

a64pilot wrote:Nope, never heard of it, and I would be REAL surprised if the FAA actually blessed off an upgross of that magnitude. A little bird tells me there is more to increasing the gross weight by that much than just a wing, a lot more. Like by the time your through, it's pretty much a new airplane :lol:
But, I'm a pessimist. I wish him luck.
Jody,
Johan web site says he has FAA approval?
http://www.maulemods.com/index.html
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

Actually version 1.0 is the one that has already been FAA approved. No upgross associated with that version, but they are claiming a 39mph stall speed at gross wieght with no VG's.

Version 2.0 is the on with slats and tips and does'nt look like there is anything on the site about an faa approval for that version yet. Version 1 looks pretty good though too. Thats about what mine stalls at power on with flaps, 2 passengers and full mains with VG's
Nick Buzby
1985 M5-235C
Wasilla, AK
4th generation Alaskan, and proud.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

BUZZ wrote:Actually version 1.0 is the one that has already been FAA approved. No upgross associated with that version, but they are claiming a 39mph stall speed at gross wieght with no VG's.

Version 2.0 is the on with slats and tips and does'nt look like there is anything on the site about an faa approval for that version yet. Version 1 looks pretty good though too. Thats about what mine stalls at power on with flaps, 2 passengers and full mains with VG's
Same criteria for mine and 39 mph is a good number for me as well!
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The 33 ft 8" wing is the standard wing on M7's from 1984 through 1993 when it was replaced with the 32 ft 11" (universal) wing).
The 33' 8" wing was fitted with a larger aileron by 7"and thus 7" shorter flap in 1989 which is designated the M7 A wing. It is used at 2500lb wheels and 2750lbs floats.
Bob Sample had the fuselage of the M7 strengthened and the 33' 8" wing redesigned with different spars and rib changes to be used on amphib floats at up to 3265lb gw.
In the mid '90's we modified the Sample wing and used it on the Maule M7 turbine which we did many major modifications to. It was the M7 Avalon 450 which we ran on Edo 2790 amphibs achieving a useful of 1100lbs.
That wing is still in use though the floats are now the Aerocets.
This high gross wing design could have been used by Maule for their 2800lb gw M9 project which has been dragging on for 7 years, but that's another story.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

maules.com wrote:The 33 ft 8" wing is the standard wing on M7's from 1984 through 1993 when it was replaced with the 32 ft 11" (universal) wing).
The 33' 8" wing was fitted with a larger aileron by 7"and thus 7" shorter flap in 1989 which is designated the M7 A wing. It is used at 2500lb wheels and 2750lbs floats.
Bob Sample had the fuselage of the M7 strengthened and the 33' 8" wing redesigned with different spars and rib changes to be used on amphib floats at up to 3265lb gw.
In the mid '90's we modified the Sample wing and used it on the Maule M7 turbine which we did many major modifications to. It was the M7 Avalon 450 which we ran on Edo 2790 amphibs achieving a useful of 1100lbs.
That wing is still in use though the floats are now the Aerocets.
This high gross wing design could have been used by Maule for their 2800lb gw M9 project which has been dragging on for 7 years, but that's another story.
Hey Jeremy,
Does this mean your back in the USA or are you still downunder in Vanuatu?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Just got back. Sydney, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa, Hawaii. Lots of flying in Vanuatu, landed 32 islands and on the ashpile behind an active volcano. Helped the Chiefs of three more islands plan rudimentary strips. .Saw more perfect beaches and coral atolls than I can remember,..........also saw lots of plastic bags and bottles around the various country's centres.............enough to make that comment. Time to ban plastic bags and place 50cent bounty on every bottle.
An excellent trip and the M7-235 on 29" did an excellent job though I must admit to keeping a close eye on the survival raft behind me while spending so much time over the Coral Sea and South Pacific ocean.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

maules.com wrote:Just got back. Sydney, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa, Hawaii. Lots of flying in Vanuatu, landed 32 islands and on the ashpile behind an active volcano. Helped the Chiefs of three more islands plan rudimentary strips. .Saw more perfect beaches and coral atolls than I can remember,..........

Glad to see your back safe...
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Lowflybye wrote:
maules.com wrote:Just got back. Sydney, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, American Samoa, Hawaii. Lots of flying in Vanuatu, landed 32 islands and on the ashpile behind an active volcano. Helped the Chiefs of three more islands plan rudimentary strips. .Saw more perfect beaches and coral atolls than I can remember,..........

Glad to see your back safe...
I 2nd the emotion! Glad to hear your back and the trip sounds like a flight of a lifetime. Please tell me you have lots of pics!
Cheers Mate!
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Welcome home Jeremy. Look forward to some pic. I'm working on my IFR ticket. Should have it 2-3 months.

Cheers...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

So now the pictures are off the camera chip and parked in Picasa, I can look at them but have no inkling of where or how to post them.
Computer illiteracy you know. It may sound easy to you computer types but to me it's trial by fire, usually torture being the prize.
Does anyone have a simple line by line instruction?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You can usually just post a link to the site where they are stored. Can you get to your pictures without logging in? If you can, chances are a simple link will work. Just go to the page where the pictures are located, copy the address from the address bar at the top of your screen and paste it in a new thread.

Here are some of mine.
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/ ... 010-19-08/

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Jeremy,
I am testing out Picasa to see if it works like crbunits bucket.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GreenHornet ... 0621131837#

Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yup. Works great! Looking forward to those Australia pics!