Amorphous M7/M6 Rebuild Project

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
asa
100+ Posts

Re: Amorphous M7/M6 Rebuild Project

Post by asa »

Kirk wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:42 pm
asa wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm
Kirk wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:57 am
Wondering how you like the SCS Featherweight Carpet? You have a good test season on it now.

Did you overlap the edges and just use adhesive there or on the surface also?

Seems like a very thin carpet might stretch and bunch if not adhered to the surface?

Kirk
Featherweight carpet is great, would do it again. Just completed the annual and after vacuuming the carpet looked new. Kept all that pesky sand out of the belly as well.

On each of the floorboard sections i used spray adhesive over the entire area and also wrapped the edges, about 1” or so around the perimeter on the back side. I stapled that as I pulled it tight. On the large rear floorboard, I had some places that were not adhered due to it taking so long to put in place after spraying adhesive so I just stapled those few places from the top side afterward. If you use your finger to scratch the carpet around the staple, it disappears. The featherweight carpet is really light but still about 0.25” thick and does not stretch at all really.
Sounds like just what I’m looking for. I agree about the advantage of sand capture, though I am toying with the idea of covering the 2nd panel back that goes around the yoke with Loncoin. It would be a good spot to help heels slide when working the rudder pedals and would be durable in a high wear area. I think I could get the join tight enough to keep sand from filtering down.

Still in the concept stage. Probably shouldn’t be overthinking it. My old panels are getting pretty rough. Back panel is way thicker than 1/4”. Existing carpet is thick, heavy, plush, stained, worn and of uncertain provenance. So, I might actually do something about it this year.

Kirk
I put a piece of scrap kydex as a heel plate on mine, on top of the carpet. Worked well. It’s lightly textured so it looks good, has a little traction but heels slide on it as needed. Didn’t want bare aluminum look but paint wears off so figured that black kydex would last a long time without a change to the finish.

My floorboards are nearly an interference fit when being installed, they press against each other quite a bit and it seals off the belly. This is how I like it. A couple places my rear floorboard was cut a little loose so I adapted by just extending the carpet 1/4” past the edge before I folded it around to help seal it off.