HANGAR-TALK 2/17/2004 till Dec-2004 PREVIOUS MAULE PILOTS

This is a copy of the messages posted to the previous maulepilots.org Quicktopics Hangar Talk...
admin

HANGAR-TALK 2/17/2004 till Dec-2004 PREVIOUS MAULE PILOTS

Post by admin »

1 christine Kerner 02-17-2004 05:22 AM ET (US)
Hi Maule Pilots,
here finally, a replacement for the Fly-In Maule Message Board. This site is not hosted. Nobody but all of you will be responsible for any posted messages. Thank you for moving with us.

2 Steve Chang 02-25-2004 12:40 AM ET (US)
Christine, Do we have a tenetive date for the flyin? Thanks for setting up this website.

3 Brian Findlay 02-29-2004 12:30 PM ET (US)
Well, I am not exactly a 'Maule' pilot - yet. I am considering purchasing a Maule, and I would like to get some owner/operator feedback on them. One thing I have not been able to come up with is the sizes of the interior cabin. Does anyone have any data on height/width for M4, 5 and 7 models? There is an M5 at our field, but it seems to small a plane for me. (I am 6'4")

Also, any feedback on the Turbo M4? Good/bad/ugly? I am guessing the story is not good, as there are no more turbo Maules in the current lineup.

email to: bfindlay@solutions-consulting.net please.

ADVthanksANCE

4 christine Kerner 03-02-2004 02:31 PM ET (US)
Steve,
FlyIn:
Andy Teetzel, Jeremy and I had scouted out Root Ranch as the most suited one- that would have been later July, but we just didn't have time to organize anything. A bunch of people were talking about flying to Alaska and Johan was developing Johnson Creek somemore. I think he might have found someone who would do the catering. CHeck with him.
Since I had to move to Hawaii I had no idea if or when I would be able to come to a fly-in, but now I have taken 4 months leave from Hawaiian May1-Aug31 and are available again. We need some feedback

This message board is not the answer yet. I do like Johanns message board a lot. Have you tried it? One thought is to have a completely independend message board which shouldn't be attached to any sales outfit. http://www.maulemods.com/phpbb2/

I downloaded the software Johan is using for his message board, but it is a bit more complicated to set it up and I really need some time to look into it.
Christine

5 christine Kerner 03-02-2004 02:38 PM ET (US)
Brian,
you can find some details on Jeremys website. Go to Maules.com Specifications and then Dimensions
The newer models (approx <7 years, ask Jeremy for the exact year) have seats which provide you with more headroom. I suggest to call Jeremy anyways 707-942-5934 - he can give you a lot of info. Also about the turbo charged M5 (don't know whether they used an M4 ever)
Some people are timid about it, I think it is a great airplane
Christine

6 christine Kerner 03-02-2004 02:39 PM ET (US)
PS:
I just check Johanns Chat room - looks like they are planning August 7/8 at Johnson Creek

7 Matt Goltl 03-06-2004 12:35 PM ET (US)
Hi Christine,
How is Hawaii?
I've been enjoying my MX-7-235 to fly the kids to their Grandma and Grandpa's farm. I'm using a wheat field near the house as a landing strip.
Thanks for all your help when I was looking for my airplane.
Matt

8 Bear Smith 03-07-2004 01:06 AM ET (US)
Brian,
Jeremy can verify, but the ticket for tall folks is the overhead window option. This'll add probably 3-4" of head room with just the standard seat. If you're getting a new Maule the set-up is the 1" Oregon Aero seat cushion plus the O'head glass. I'm 6'2" (39" sitting ht) and have the 1" seat with no o'head glass. I have about 1 finger width clearance between the top of my headset (Peltor 7004) and the headliner. Hope this helps.
Bear

9 DeaneCooper 03-10-2004 12:47 PM ET (US)
Has anyone considered Sulphur Creek for the 2004 flyin? We went there last year and it seems to meet all of the criteria. They have a lodge with family style home cooked meals 3 times a day. Cabins to sleep in with showers and bathrooms in each one - lots of room for tents also. Room for parking airplanes. Horseback riding. A large catch and release pond with good trout fishing. Trails to hike to the Salmon River. Secluded and either a tight approach or a 5 mile straight in final - your choice. About 30 minute flight SE of McCall, Idaho. Last year the charge for room, meals and access to the fishing pond was about $65.00 per person per day (horseback riding extra). I know we are planning to go there several times this summer. Deane N2451S

10 christine Kerner 03-10-2004 02:37 PM ET (US)
Dean,
we looked at Sulphur Creek, but they said no camping for that many. We picked Roots Ranch as the best Maule FLy In 2004 location, however, as we are to busy to organize this year, Johan at MauleMods.com has picked up the ball and seems to favor Johnson Creek (and found catering possibilties see his chat room)
Christine

12 Paul Zuelke 04-20-2004 10:04 PM ET (US)
I am a new Maule owner, just having ordered a new
M7-235C. It won't be delivered 'till November or thereabouts but I noticed the fly-in scheduled for August. I thought I would invite anyone at the fly-in to fly over to Hell's Canyon on the way to or from the fly-in. My wife, Betty, and I volunteer for the USFS and live in Hell's Canyon, at Pittsburg Landing (near Grangeville, ID) for the entire month of August. During August, I live in an old Pioneer cabin on the Oregon side of the Snake River, just across from Pittsburg Landing. There is a nice airstrip there - roughly 800' long - that I keep mowed and clear of rocks, etc. Great fishing, great camping, plenty of good water, and the Forest Service won't mind if you use our shower and toilet facilities.

I can be reached at (503) 723-0200 for details.

13 George Wiens 06-13-2004 10:00 PM ET (US)
I am very interested in aviation and planning to get my private pilots license. I like the fact maules are so reasonably priced. Would you maule pilots reccomend me learning on one. I heard there are a lot of quirks about flying them. Are cessnas better to learn on? I am brand new on this site if this style of message has already been posted.

15 Chris 07-03-2004 05:11 PM ET (US)
I've got a 1968 M4 210C and, according to the limited flight manual, to fly with just tanks topped off and only a pilot, I have to carry about 100 punds of ballast in the full aft cargo area. This seems wierd to me. Any other M4 owners come up with this same requirement? I'd love to hear from other M4 owners Chris twolynchs@hotmail.com

16 Rick Libby 07-15-2004 10:00 AM ET (US)
I own an MX-7 180A Maule that I bought from Jeromy back in 1998. Last year we discovered Idaho flying and spent time at Johnson Creek and Big Creek. Johnson Creek is a great place for a fly-in and I would be interested in participating this year. I plan on attending the Annual Northwest Mountain Fly-In at McCall on the same dates as the proposed Maule fly-in but would love to camp a couple of days after the event.

I have three hundred hours in my airplane and am still learning how to use it. Mountain flying is definitely a challenge and a great way to sharpen one's skills.

Rick

17 Christine & Jeremy 07-23-2004 09:35 PM ET (US)
Maule Drivers:
PLease read Johans message, we published at http://www.maulepilots.org - don't let him down

Lets make it a successful FlyIn this year again

18 Dan Coury 08-11-2004 05:36 PM ET (US)
I have purchased a m4 Strata Rocket. I am new to maule flying, but I have been flying over 25 yrs. I would like to find the pros and cons to my M4 over 5,6,7 and also on the franklin engine. Any one out there that has had a M4strata rocket? I love it so far and am having a ball! I am going to put a new radio stack in with a 430 in Sept.
Thanks,
Dan in Arizona

19 Gene Swan 08-23-2004 04:09 PM ET (US)
Still on a high from the gathering in Johnson Creek. Now is a good a time as any to start thinking about next year. I have it on good authority from a friend in the C-180/185 club that we failed to be "organized" enough for the caretakers at Johnson Creek because we failed to "grease the skids" by not offering gratuities to them like t-shirts and an invitation to dinner. Therefore, going back to 3U2 is doable provided someone makes amends for our lack of propriety. I will go if asked. I personally would like to go back to Minam Lodge. Rumor has it that it is under new management and the new owners would love to host us.

20 Wup Winn 08-25-2004 02:41 PM ET (US)
In my opnion we should not have to "grease the skids" with any one! It was a Maule Pilot Gettogether not a "Club" Fly-in,

"we failed to be "organized" enough for the caretakers at Johnson Creek"

..... oops!

"not offering gratuities to them"

Let me think about that one...... Who do they work for?

I better stop there.....

21 Greg & Barbara 08-27-2004 12:18 AM ET (US)
In regards to the 3 blade prop strike here is some info I got via e-mail this morning from Dale and Virginia. Dale writes:
"And, we stopped in McCall on the way home, and the Chief of Maintenance at McCall Aviation said the insurance company for the three blade prop strike airplane had called and asked them to get the airplane out and fixed. So, when he called the FAA and told them he would put a new prop on and fly it out if they would give him a ferry permit, he was told they don't issue ferry permits for prop strikes any more. Guess they will have to build a tripod and lift the engine off, do what is necessary, and reinstall."

Bummer.

Greg and I stayed another day. Most everyone had left early Sunday morning but a second prop strike occurred later that morning closer to midday. It was a Maule. It was taxiing south for takeoff and ran into the threshold runway marker white rocks. It was a two blade prop and the tips were completely chewed off. No injuries. The plane owner removed the prop himself and a couple from Boise who drove in to see us drove him and the prop out of there. I don't know the guy's name or what the N# of the plane was.

Hope all had a safe trip home. Thanks for a great weekend. See you next time.

Greg and Barbara

22 Mike 12-27-2004 07:33 PM ET (US)
Hello all, I have been thinking of purchasing a Maule aircraft. But am hesitant because I have never flown a tail dragger. I have children and wish not to put them in any risky circumstances. In the back of my mind I am telling myself that once you learn how to fly a tail dragger all will be as safe as ever. Is this true.

PS. I live in Crested Butte CO. on a private air strip at 9,000 ft. and many days we have quite a cross wind and generally land up hill. I could sure use some feed back.
If anyone wants to land at our field feel free to give me a call. 970-349-2597

23 RDonMcKeown@aol.com 12-27-2004 08:47 PM ET (US)
I think all will be well with your tail dragger if you have an instructor teach you how to handle the crosswind and most importantly respect the limitations of the machine and your own personal skill level.

Good luck and have fun with your Maule!

Don

25 RDonMcKeown@aol.com 12-27-2004 08:48 PM ET (US)
P. S.
Thanks for the invitation to land on your strip.
Don

26 Mike 12-28-2004 08:28 PM ET (US)
Don,
Thanks for the encouragement, I am really excited about flying in a new way, all of my 400+ hrs are in a Piper Arrow.
If you want to land on our field you can find a map and other info at the following link. http://www.cbairport.org/

Give me a call and I would be happy to take you into town.

Thanks, Mike Higgins

27 RDonMcKeown@aol.com 12-28-2004 09:21 PM ET (US)
Hello Mike,
I have a new Maule coming in about three weeks. They are putting the finishing touches on it now. The Holidays have slowed them down a bit. I will be out West later this year and would love to visit your strip. I put 400+ hrs. on an MX7180B last year. Some of that time was in Idaho learning about Canyon Flying. The Maule is a blast to fly but demands respect. It will be more responsive than the Piper Arrow but besides being a taildragger, it may be lighter and affected more by crosswind. Get VG's if your Maule doesn't already have them. They improve aleron authority among other things and are cheap insurance when it comes to holding the wing down in a crosswind. I almost lost my Maule when I allowed the wing to get up once in a gust. It is paramount to keep the wing down and the nose lined up with the centerline until the wheels quit turning and you tie the bird down. Don't be afraid of it but just don't stop flying when you think you are down. Keep your hand on the throttle and if things get ugly add power and go around. The propwash will give the rudder authority and the HP will get you flying again and once you get a foot off the ground you will be in control again.

Have fun and thanks for the invitation!

Don