External loads on the Floats?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
northern guide

External loads on the Floats?

Post by northern guide »

Anyone have experience slinging a canoe out on the side of the floats? I have EDO 2440's with the extra tie down loops etc. but have never hauled a external load. How should a guy expect the plane to handle? :?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If it's got a transom on it for an engine, be sure to put that end forward and go as far forward as you safely can allowing good prop clearance... Handling will vary according to length, mostly will affect airspeeds due to drag and trim will be funny. Also will handle better at lighter gross weights, would suggest stay away from max gross weight... You may also find that if you have hull insurance, they don't cover external loads?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

northern guide

Post by northern guide »

Thanks, Aero101 I was wondering about the square stern ,so that answers that. I was thinking of just myself and the external load until we see what happens. Seems to me it would want to crab to tha right a bit ?? :? [/list]

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I don't know squat about floats, but I don't think it would work well on the left side due to P factor would it?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Actually will work best with load on RH side due to P-Factor and technically in USA you can't carry passengers with external load except as neccesary crewmember to help with load...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

northern guide

Post by northern guide »

Thanks guys I'll have to play with that a bit. The first time is always the worst not knowing how it will handle.

N412EP

Post by N412EP »

Jim, it's not just with hull insurance. My policy states that they won't even cover me on the liability side of the policy.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

hypothetically speaking- a 15 foot fiberglass canoe with transom will fly perfectly well on an M5. just put the flat transom to the front, and keep it well forward to prevent turbulence over the tail. and i would hypothetically put it on the right (co-pilot) side of the plane. it should fly just fine over there, with only slightly exaggerated yaw movements.
M5-235

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I just hauled out a 16' "V" bottom boat with 60" beam on the LH side of a Beaver where we could keep an eye on it... Found it to be about the max size you'd want to carry on a Beaver. Got airbourne ok, but found we had severe buffeting on Horiz / Elev even though transom facing fwd. Ended up pumping in some more cruz flaps which in turn raised tail up some, and pretty much got rid of buffeting. Upon trimming found the acft would fly hands off!! Also tried a new tiedown technique recommended by one of the local feds that worked very well.. Used fairly large and long Bungee cord wrapping several times around boat at each tiedown area, then used a little rope at critical areas to suppliment. Kept the load very tight and no tendency to shift... I think you'll find that every different kind of load you fly will have different tendencies on aircraft handling and makes you somewhat of a test pilot. Have a good friend flew many load of plywood on spreader bars of a C180, got to last load and had a couple of extra sheets over what he'd been carrying, loaded up took off, couldn't get out of ground effect, totally blanked out elevator control and couldn't get back on water either, ended up in trees about a mile away. Also seen pics of an Otter carried out a complete C180, fuselage on one side, wings on the other last summer and had no problem. I guess all I'm saying is every aircraft is different, every load is different, check around see if anyone else had done what you're looking to do, and BE CAREFUL!!!
Jim