fuel selector??

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
cj8vet

fuel selector??

Post by cj8vet »

Is it ok to put the fuel selector in our planes, in- between spots ie closer to rt than middle so as to try to equalize fuel flow? I'm gettin cked out in a c-206, the pilot tells me he does it that way

mark
mxt-180
n234pp
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Probably not a wise thing to do... If not in the detent the ports in valve not fully open and they are sized to supply required amount of fuel flow. Under right circumstances you could starve the engine of fuel. Probably not enough to quit, but the potential is there as well a potential of internal engine damage from lack of proper flow especially at full power? Some aircraft have AD note to lube the valve so you can positively feel detent or otherwise fuel starvation can be the result....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I agree. That trick sounds like trouble to me. On my MX-7 I never use the "both" setting because of crossfeeding and overflow issues with full or nearly full tanks. Instead, to keep things balanced, I have learned to switch tanks from right to left, and back again every 30 minutes or so until the fuel level in both tanks gets down to below 1/2 . Then I can select "both' without an overflow.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Bad idea. I would not fly with someone who played this game.
If one cannot manage fuel he should not fly anything except for a 150.
Each of us has a different method of fuel management. Find what works for you and stick with it.
I placed Betsy in level flight conditions and drained the fuel to find 5 gallons remaining in each tank and mark the gauge. I always leave this amount in the last switch in case the tank I switch to runs dry do to my error. This leaves me a known amount to make a safe landing or get out of a bad situation. Hope this makes since.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Thanks Ya'll, didn't sound real good to me either. after questioning the 206 pilot he said he doesnt really ever do it, just that he was taught we could
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I can introduce you to an Aeronautical Engineer who crashed and totaled his M-5 some years ago by not understanding the fuel selector. Maule uses the "pointer" to indicate where the valve is, Cessna used the long part of the handle. What is opposite of both? As simple as it sounds, airplanes have been crashed and people killed by pilots not understanding the fuel valve selector.
What your pilot friend describes sounds to me like it might operate perfectly well at cruise and die of fuel starvation on a go around when fuel demand is higher than a partially opened valve can flow.
Make sure you can "feel" the detent whenever you change fuel tanks. It sounds silly, but I don't touch the fuel selector unless I have the altitude and a safe place to land, if possible. I have known of cases of the fuel selector handle coming off in the pilots hand for example, not something you want to happen in the pattern.