MT-7 235 short field t/o technique

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.

MT-7 235 short field t/o technique

Post by 1989 »

Curious what others are doing for a max perf. t/o. Are you setting 24 degrees of flaps before t/o or pulling 24 at a certain airspeed? And if so, what is that airspeed (mph or knots) I will eventually be operating out of my 1,300' grass strip at 1,000' elevation with 40' trees both ends. Appreciate your input.
Last edited by 1989 on Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: MT-7 235 short field t/o technique

Post by Andy Young »

Operating a 235 hp Maule out of a 1300’ strip will likely not require much specificity of technique. It’d probably do just fine with no flaps to be honest.

I typically put in the first notch of flaps before starting the take-off roll, and just call that good, unless I really need to get out short (like in less than 400 or 500 feet). In those cases, I start with first notch in, apply full power (gradually if on gravel, to save the prop from getting beat up) and push yoke full forward. Once the tail rises, I wait another one to four seconds (depending on density altitude; four seconds is for above 5000’) then pull back on the yoke while pulling in some more flap at the same time. I honestly don’t know what speed that occurs at; I’m doing it more by feel. With the MT of course, your technique will be a bit different. If you’re concerned about it, maybe practice at a larger field and play with different rotation speeds and see what works best.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Andy has the procedure down for sure. It’s absolutely all feel and becomes second nature. The only difference between Andy and I’s technique is that I use it even if I have 3000ft of runway. I always fly as if I’m going in and out of a 400’ strip. The guys in the tower always enjoy seeing STOL planes doing their thing.

Post by 1989 »

Thanks for the info. Good news is I think I can stretch my strip to near 1,500' so should be good to go.

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Sft- 235……. Push throttle fwd ,,,, raise tail…. Onethousand one thousand two thousand three,,,,,rotate…. Ok thousand five or so if heavy😆

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I usually enter the strip in a J turn and apply full throttle while rolling to avoid picking up gravel or other debris. On a short strip I use 40 degrees flaps. Push the nose forward when airspeed comes alive and lift off 45 - 50 mph. Fly in ground effect to pick up airspeed and climb out at about 70 mph. When clear of trees or obstacles and positive rate of climb reduce to 24 degrees flaps. Continue climb at about 80 mph and around 500 AGL with positive rate of climb reduce flaps to 0 degrees. Set climb power to normal.
Andy
1986 MX7-180