Prop Wash

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Prop Wash

Post by wtxdragger »

Went flying Saturday morning with fishhntr365 and was following him in his M7-235. I was above and about a half mile behind. It was a cold smooth day, so I was only using power/trim and rudder inputs. I decided to get a little lower, to the same level as his Maule. As I got level with him, the prop wash, wake turbulence hit me.
I'm assuming due to the heavy cold air, the turbulence was not falling below the plane?
Anyway, here is the video from inside the cockpit.

https://youtu.be/oMbk1rn3au4
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Re: Prop Wash

Post by norcal64d »

Seems pretty plausible. Every now and then in smooth air I have felt my wake in a 360 degree turn so it seems that some days the wake doesn't descend very quickly.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I hit AndrewK’s wake awhile back. Was honestly disturbing for a moment. My plane buffeted and sounded like the tail was about to fall off. I also almost got flipped by a Beaver that decided to slip in ahead of me on a short approach to an island landing strip. That one really got my attention.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yea, I've been beaten up pretty badly from another Maule's wake. Gets your attention doesn't it!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!