Anyone flying with skis?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
norcal64d
100+ Posts

Anyone flying with skis?

Post by norcal64d »

I am living up here in upstate New York for a couple years and it seems like there is lots of snow for ski flying in this part of the country. I have a line on a set of Aero Ski M2000 straight skis that would probably be a pretty good deal and a straightforward STC to use on my MX-7-180. My airport stays covered with snow all winter and the guys that do the snow plowing say they would build me a ramp from my hanger to get out so I am thinking straight skis would probably work. Fueling is with a truck only, so I wouldn’t have an issue getting to a self serve point.

I could get the skies on the plane for about 2500 or less, so it’s not a huge investment but I would definitely have to put the tires back on it if I flew south in the winter.

Just curious who else is running skies and how you like it. I have no experience on skis but lots of snow/winter helicopter flying so I am thinking some dual with a good ski CFI would be smart.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Re: Anyone flying with skis?

Post by UP-M5 »

I have been flying skis every season since i got my M5 in 2005... you should go for it. tons of fun. and those straight skis will make you cherish the experience even more.
M5-235

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Are you using a tail ski?
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Because of snow conditions around here I have wheel pentation skis and for the most part don't use a tail ski. Lots of different things to think about when on skis. Ask a lot of questions, read up on it. Take a shovel, snowshoes or skis and cold weather gear. I haven't got stuck and had to stay over night but it can happen. video attached - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOY-5cwEtMc&t=33s

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

We are in Northern Wisconsin and look forward to the ski flying every winter. Great performance and a lot of fun. Most of the lakes up here become perfect runways!! Probably very similar in upstate NY. Lots to read up on and learn...flat light, ice heaves, old ice volcanos from ice fishing holes, deep snow, drifts, getting stuck etc. We have a tail ski but don't use it and cant say we have really ever needed it, even in deep snow. The tailwheel actually works as a brake on all but glare ice. GO FOR IT, you will love it.
1999 M7-235C

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

M5-235