Instrument Approach Techniques

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
drak130
100+ Posts

Instrument Approach Techniques

Post by drak130 »

Hello All,

Dropped off the plane at Pee Dee Avionics for the big upgrade to IFR capability. GMA345, GTX375, GTR225, GI106B and leaving the GNC250XL as back up comm and nav. No VOR/ILS only GPS LPV. While I wait I thought I'd ask the experts than have flown their Maule IFR what techniques they use regarding initial approach speeds, config and final approach speeds and holding.

Mine is a M7-235 no Flight Director. Still the vacuum steam gauges and CDI needles. While my real job has me flying Flight Directors and HSIs, I am not uncomfortable flying without those tools. My former airplane was a 1955 V35 with steam gauges and CDIs. That I flew at top of white arc and clean during initial approach, gear at glideslope intercept, clean flaps and top of white arc until breakout or missed. If landing, power back, slow, track flaps.

Looking forward to the advice

Cheers
Tim

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Instrument Approach Techniques

Post by Kirk »

Hi Tim,

Sounds like you flew the Bonanza much the way I do approaches in my M5. If you are used to a much faster airplane you will probably find it easier to fly fairly fast on the approach. Certainly more a personal comfort issue than mandatory technique.

For me, I was used to aircraft that flew 120 KIAS or more one the approach. Flying an ILS, usually I am mixing with much faster traffic, so I just fly 120 KIAS to visual. Very easy to do safely to 500’ or so, really even 200’ considering an ILS usually serves a very long runway. For the rare times that I am stuck doing an ILS to mins I might fly it at 90 KIAS.

Non-precision approaches, I fly at 90 KIAS (120 KIAS if I have to pee). Using 90 & 120 makes the math easy for time estimates and judging expected descent rate.

That’s just my technique. Nothing wrong with flying the approach fully configured as many people have been trained and are comfortable with.

Enjoy that avionics upgrade!

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Up to the marker, or initial descent point, then power to allow nose to drop and descend at same speed. It’s about 18 inches for me but you’ll have to see what it takes for you. Now approaching DH is where some would say I go instabilized but I pull back to about 12 inches and trim to maintain glide path to allow speed to bleed off. Everyone will do it a little different. Kind of depends on the kind of runway you usually go to.

Good luck on the upgrades. Think you will love the 375. Just replaced a 250XL with a 355. Nothing wrong with the 250 except my eyes don’t do as well with the monochrome screen as they use to.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Mine's a 1986 MX-7-180 with 31" tundra tires so it's draggy and slower than your M7-235. I use 90 knots airspeed on most approaches. 2300 RPM and 17" MP give me a descent rate of 500 fpm. That's usually right on the LPV glide slope. At 2 nm from the runway (depending on wind), I add carb heat, reduce power to 1400 RPM, full prop, pump the brakes 3 times (in case the parking brake tab got stuck, although I never use it) apply 24 degrees flaps and pitch for 60 mph. I use throttle to maintain the glide slope and apply 40 degrees flaps about 1 nm from the runway. If the runway is in sight at DH, I reduce power and apply 48 degrees flaps as long as it's not too windy. If it's windy, I land with 24 or 40 degrees flaps depending on wind velocity. If I have to hold, then I use 90 knots and no flaps. The tires create so much drag and the wing has so much lift that there's no need for flaps at that point. The GTN 650 really makes LPV approaches, missed approaches and holds easy. I'm now very used to the vertical tape glide slope on my G5 HSI, which seems to be more stable than the GI 106B glide slope needle, although the localizer/glide slope crosshairs on the GI 106B are somewhat more intuitive. The glide slope tape doesn't show up on the G5 until just before the FAF so descents from the IAF to intermediate fixes still require step downs.

PeeDee Avionics has done great work for me at a very reasonable price. Make sure Shannon is there to do QA on the technician's work. I had some problems with the G5 HSI installation because he was out sick. He made it right but I didn't allow enough time to check all the functions out before leaving for home because I was trying to beat thunderstorms approaching my home airport from the West. If you can get there in the morning after they've finished and stay near the airport until you've checked out all the functions, that's a good thing. Also, plan for ground transportation and lodging or a ride home if you find a problem and have to leave the aircraft with them. I recommend creating a test checklist before you pick up the airplane. You could include a Rwy 26 LPV approach, missed approach and hold at KCQW. Runway 8 doesn't have an LPV approach, but you might want to include it just to test the LNAV functions. If one of your avionics requires a pitot/static connection, make sure to check the airspeed indicator and VSI. Ask PeeDee to cover the master/battery, electric fuel pump, anti-collision lights, nav lights and pitot heater switch bank with tape before they do any drilling to avoid small pieces of metal falling into the open top of the switches. Check the operation of each switch after the work is done to make sure nothing has fallen into them. In my case, a tiny screw fell into the anti-collision light switch and prevented it from locking in place. It took a while to solve that problem.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi Tim,

I certainly agree, the speed you are most comfortable with tends to work out best. The only caveat I apply is not to exceed Va, max full manoeuvre speed, which for my M6 is 125mph/110Kts. The air in our clouds can get a little bumpy. My M6 has an IO540, 33' 4" wing, 8.50 tyres and no AP. Similar to Kirk, I have to 'fit in' with faster traffic.

On commencing a procedure, or initial ATC vector, or 10 miles, whichever is first, I set fuel to Both, flaps from -7 to 0, MP 19", prop 2050, fuel flow 10gal and re-trim. Result for me is 120mph and access to all the fuel in the main tanks. I fly the vectors, holds, approach (precision or non precision, yes we still have NDBs), and intercept the localiser/final approach track with this configuration, all the way to FAF.

At the FAF, I set MP to 15", prop to 2300, fuel flow to full rich. Flaps remain at 0 degree. For my M6 this maintains 120mph with 3 degree, 600ft decent rate. I fly this configuration until DH/DA. If I have to go missed all I need to do is adjust MP.

As Kirk observed, most airfields with an instrument approach tend to have long runways. For me, my M6 and 200-500 ft DA/DH, adequate to ease off the MP and safely land.

I maintain 0 degree flap and normally do a wheel landing (at about 70mph) in these poor conditions with the seemingly ever present gusty crosswind. If I have to 'go around' I am already configured, just adjust MP.

Just me and my M6.

Look forward to some info on the 375 and panel photos.
M6-235

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thank up all for the inputs. At least I have a starting point. Will send pic when done. Reading the GNX 375 manual has me excited. If it works like the "book" it seems like a very capable box with alot of features outside of GPS nav and LPV approaches.

Now I just have to wait for it to be done....

Tim

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The GNX 375 looks like a great product. It doesn't have COM/NAV but it does have built-in 1090 ADS-B Out and 1090/978 ADS-B In. One nice feature with the GNX 375 that I don't have with my GTN 650 is the ability to overlay TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather on the GNX 375 display. If you have a Garmin GTN series navigator and GTX 345 ADS-B transponder, you can do that, but I have an Appareo ESG ADS-B transponder and the ADS-B In features are not compatible with the GTN 650. It's not a major disadvantage since I have an iPad Mini 5/Foreflight that connects to the Appareo Stratus 2i to display ADS-B in weather and traffic. If the iPad goes out, I would have to use my iPhone/Foreflight to display traffic and weather.

Garmin's avionics products talk well with one another but not with non-Garmin avionics.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

The 375 is nice. My only two crticism’s are.... 1. Its a ES, so no hiding like the anonomous mode of a 978... now, u can block your data from public at the faa level... 2. Not major but, when selecting a new code u must enter it then hit enter for it to take... for example when squawking 1234 you cancel services, so you hit the code being displayed, it takes u to the txpndr page, select vfr, it then displays 1200, but if u don't hit enter it will revert back to assigned code..

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Original panel from the factory in 1998 (and when I bought it last year) to now. I am out of monies so I am done. Nuff shop time, more flying time!

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Panel as it sits now.... steam gauges can be removed and still legal

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Allparg,

Love the clean look. Jealous for the GI275s. Maybe in the carfds down the road. For now just happy to not be grounded when it is cloudy.

Tim

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi Tim and Allprag,

Both your panels look good and will be great to fly behind.

To meet the reg's over here my panel is still cluttered with the likes of an ADF and indicator. Hopefully one day I might be allowed to clean it up.
M6-235