MXT-7-180 Performance

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Fawaz

MXT-7-180 Performance

Post by Fawaz »

Hi,

Has anyone produced any Aircraft Performance, T/O & Landing, Climb charts for the MXT-7-180.

I asked Maule they told me to try and find it here :roll:

Would appreciate if you share your personal ones so we can get a general picture of all the Maule's performances.

Thanks!

andy
Site Admin

Re: MXT-7-180 Performance

Post by andy »

Here's one that I created for my MX-7-180 before I added the 31" tundra tires so it's probably similar for the MXT-7-180.

https://www.maulepilot.com/mauleperformance.pdf
Andy
1986 MX7-180

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Thanks for making that, Andy, I have benefited from having the numbers you came up with as a base line. I have found that at high density altitudes (above 6000ft DA) I generally got somewhat better performance than the chart would show. For example, 9000ft DA, 2100 lbs, and generally light winds over the runway I got off the runway right at 1000ft and climbed at least 500ft per minute in my 1991 MX-7-180. Overall, I really appreciate the work that you put into it!
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The chart is conservative and was created prior to the addition of 31" ABI tundra tires and vortex generators to my MX-7-180. The higher density altitude numbers are extrapolations based on FAA mountain flying publications and I haven't had the opportunity to verify them at those density altitudes. Glad you got a chance to do so.

The highest density altitude that I've verified for takeoff and landing is around 8,000 MSL at 2350 lbs for a takeoff distance of about 900 feet (not over 50 foot obstacle though). Climb rate of 370 fpm was pretty close. I can almost always land in 500 feet or less and occasionally in 300 feet no matter the density altitude.

The vortex generators help in controllability at slower final approach speeds, reduce stall speed a bit and result in shorter landings. The tundra tires significantly increase the takeoff angle of attack and build up lift quicker until I raise the tail so they help with shorter takeoffs. Not much I can do about the climb rate because of the 180 hp engine and less lift with the short wing. Using 40 degrees of flaps on takeoff does help the climb rate above obstacles but creates a lot of drag and slow airspeed so I can't use it for extended climbs. Reducing flaps to 24 degrees once above obstacles is useful until clear of high terrain but it's still too slow an airspeed for extended climb. In hot weather a higher climb airspeed is important for keeping CHTs in the green.

Because of the 180 hp and short wing, I have to be careful not to land somewhere that I can't take off out of safely. I've often dreamed about having a 235 hp engine and universal wing but the loss of useful load and higher maintenance cost and higher fuel burn of a 6-cylinder engine are disadvantages. If I had to pick one of those two things, I'd want the universal wing. There's a slight increase in weight but the increase in lift makes up for it. However, I've customized this airplane so much over the 23 years that I've owned it, that trading it in for a 235 hp with universal wing would require me to get into the modifications game again. I like the configuration on this airplane so I think that I will stick with it.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

andy wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:31 am
Here's one that I created for my MX-7-180 before I added the 31" tundra tires so it's probably similar for the MXT-7-180.

https://www.maulepilot.com/mauleperformance.pdf
Thanks a lot Andy! well done and appreciate your help.

Fawaz