Extended gear first impressions

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
AMBUSH

Re: Extended gear first impressions

Post by AMBUSH »

Update - I watched the struts as we rocked the plane, and one moves relatively freely and the other was not moving at all. We disassembled the apparent seized oleo and put it in a hydraulic press and it did compress. However, it would not decompress unless we used shock force (fancy way of saying we dropped it about 2 feet off the ground). Lubricated and repeated about 4 times with the same result.

I think it's been like this since I bought the plane, and maybe the force applied at landing has been enough to free the oleo so it acted normally.

Unless this is "normal" or anyone has any other ideas, I think I need to buy a new oleo internal assembly...?

No visible damage to the oleo shock assembly, no noises heard indicating contaminants while in the hyd. press.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

It’s a pretty simple device. It’s not much more complicated than an anvil. Since you already have the spring cartridge removed from the strut, and you have access to a press, why not go ahead and disassemble it and see why it’s hanging up? Take the load off with the press, remove the three bolts on the bottom spring seat, then the whole thing should slide apart. My guess is that you have a bent rod, but it’s just a guess.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

montana maule wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 pm
Wup you out there? Since you helped develop the gear what is correct? My 337 states the extended gear is 2lbs. heavier and the axle is at the same station as the standard gear.
Yes you are correct, the gear is 2# heavier and the same geometry as the stock gear so no change in the location. Sorry for the late reply

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Ok the explanation of the "Forward 2inches" remark is that when the aircraft is in 3 point with the extended gear it will be a bit farther forward due to the extra length. Unlike the Cub 3x3 Gear that has the forward geometry built into it the Maule Extended gear is still at the 90* point. my stick figure drawing will muddy the waters some more I think :D

AMBUSH

Post by AMBUSH »

Thought I’d close out the stuck oleo problem. Turns out the 4 bolts that attach it to the housing were both too long and too tight. This caused them to pinch the brass bushing around the rod and seized the shock. I talked to David at the factory and he said they cut the new bolts shorter. I got a set of them and they are about 1/8th of an inch shorter than the ones provided by airframes Alaska. Recommend cutting or ordering cut ones from the factory and making sure your mechanic doesn’t wrench them down too tight. The new oleos work great, but a pricey lesson that could have been avoided.