New-to-me M7.. Open to suggestions!

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
asa
100+ Posts

New-to-me M7.. Open to suggestions!

Post by asa »

After browsing this forum for a couple years and looking at maules to buy, I just (like today) traded my Scout for an M7-235. Injected, long wing. It's not perfect, and it's not perfect for me, but I'm excited to learn a new airplane. It climbs like a rocket, pretty wild.

I did an hour insurance checkout this morning with an instructor, but would love to hear any advice on techniques. I'm flying it across the country currently, have been cruising 22/2200 leaned to about 12.5 GPH (no real good EGT info, just flow).

Seems like one thing I need to work on is getting it slowed down from cruise to approach... it seems to like it's speed. The 31's will help with that I'm sure.

I'm intereted in hearing what numbers (or feel), and techniques others are using for short landings and takeoffs. So far I've been doing them by the book while I learn the plane. 60-65mph approach with full flaps. Seems like AOA is a limiting factor, on the slow end what would be a wheelie in the Scout or 180 is a 3 point in the maule. Guess the 31's will help with that too.

Thanks to Andy Young and Trebor for helping me out, and I got lots of info from this forum already.

If anyone wants a mesh patroller seat and wants to give up their standard seat, I'd be happy to trade...

-asa

Trevtt600

Re: New-to-me M7.. Open to suggestions!

Post by Trevtt600 »

Congrats on the trade. I'm fairly new to the Maule family as well with an M5-210C. The more I fly the more impressed I get. I'll leave the tips and techniques to the guys and gals that have been flying the Maule for a while, but enjoy!
Trever
M5-210C

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

I have almost a year of weekend flying under my belt with a M7-235. I had the same issue getting slowed for the pattern and some landing issues. The biggest thing that helped me was lots of airwork as mentioned by several on the forum. Once you see how slow the airplane can fly you will realize that 60-65 may be too fast (depending on weight).

What works for me is to get level just prior to downwind, 13 in MP and let her slow. I try to get the first notch of flaps (24 degrees) at 75 abeam the numbers. I shoot to be slowed to 65 on base, 12 inches MP and second notch of flaps (40 degrees). If there is a good crosswind or bumps I stay with 40 flaps and shoot for about 60 crossing the fence for a wheel landing. If short roll out is the goal ( even with a crosswind) I go full flaps (48 degrees) on final and slow to 55 and shoot for 50 across the fence.

If high, I pull the power, pull the nose up and slow. The airplane comes down like a brick. Once on glidepath, I drop the nose a bit and get back on 1.3 Vso. (Which is very conservative and a bit fast for a Maule IMO). I find if you bleed 5 or so mph as you decend to 20-50 feet, it makes for a nice touchdown.

Like Jeremy says, you don't get full flaps until you are below 55mph (watch them during your airwork) so the earlier you slow the better. I found that slowing in the flare with the flaps then going to 48 degrees was making for some not so great touchdowns.

Also, get some of that nose up trim out on final. I take it all the way to the mark, others just aft. Gives you anbetter feel and more authority for the flare.

At or near gross, another 5 mph seems tomwork nicely. The Maule is truely a feel airplane and less about hard and fast numbers

Others with more experience may chime in but all the above is condensed from lots of advice over several threads.

Hope this helps and welcome to the family!

Tim

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The Scout has a much lighter tail than a Maule so it's easier to do a wheel landing at slower airspeeds. I reduce throttle to 1400 RPM and maintain altitude until I slow down to 60 mph. Once you reduce MP below about 14", there's not enough oil pressure to hold prop RPM so throttle controls RPM. Then I add a notch of flaps and descend using pitch to control airspeed and power to control descent rate. I add one notch of flaps at 60 mph on descent from downwind, a second notch on base and full flaps on final at 55 - 60 mph. Depending on weight and wind, I juggle pitch and power to maintain airspeed at 55 - 60 mph and keep the aiming point from moving up or down in the windscreen with throttle. I use a steep approach by turning base earlier and that helps keep the tail up so you can decide on a wheel landing or 3-pointer when you flare for touchdown. Otherwise, the tail will droop and you will end up with a 3-pointer.

I don't use any elevator trim after downwind, which takes a little more effort but provides extra elevator effectiveness at lower air speeds. I need enough elevator to rock the nose forward after the mains contact the surface to keep from bouncing in a wheel landing.

MP and RPM settings depend on altitude but I typically use 22" and 2350 RPM in cruise below 5,000 in my MX-7-180. That gives me 10 gph. I consider myself fortunate to see more than 90 kts ground speed at that power setting considering the drag of the 31" tundra tires.

Vortex generators and elevator gap seals make a significant difference in low air speed handling and stall control. If you don't have these, I recommend getting them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Congrats! Looks like a nice Maule. Enjoy!
===========
M5-210C
RV6