external loads

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

external loads

Post by Steelroamer »

I have just got my hands on a remote cabin and am flying supplies and building (finishing) materials up, m7 O-540 on edo 2440's. things are going well but I was wondering if anybody had photos of how they are securing things like plywood and lumber etc to their planes. there is a thread on here from '09 but most of the photos are unavailable to view. I would just like to compare what I am doing to what others are doing/have done. as a bonus I always like to see float plane pictures!!

Thanks
Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Re: external loads

Post by UP-M5 »

i have aqua's with the big flat tops, so i do boards on the float decks. i can haul 16' lengths on there and stack it up pretty well. plywood goes underneath on the spreader bars. i have never had a problem with the wood getting too hot. but i dont have to travel far to my cabin. there are stories of lumber catching on fire in flight due to being too close to the exhaust.
things like doors, windows, metal roofing/siding all go on the spreaders. canoes and boats lean up against the struts. pointy end facing aft.

this was a load of metal roofing. it sat on plywood and 2x4's for rigidity.
M5-235

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Re: external loads

Post by Steelroamer »

Ok Perfect, thanks for that.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing