m5-235 cruise speed

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
mauleace

Post by mauleace »

210TC

And once on an IFR flight I went to 23,000 in an attempt to get above the Ice.
You must have been freezing your nuts off. My Maule is like sitting on a screened in porch, real drafty and not much waste heat for the cabin when it is cold.

Great story, my Maule surprises me with it's abilities everytime I fly it.[/quote]
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

210TC wrote: until someone tests the Maule to speeds that we have spoken about

They (Maule) have. It's called certification. During certification, one of the tests that have to be flown is one to Vd, which is pretty far beyond VNE. So, as long as you maintain the aircraft, and keep it within it's type design and fly it within it's design limits found in the operators manual, the Type Design Certificate Sheets and the placards found inside of the aircraft, you will have no problem with flutter, I assure you.
Have you ever heard of a properly maintained certified aircraft having flutter problems in the last fifty years or so?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Agree completely with A64... You talk about molecules going faster, but there are considerable less at altitude at a given TAS. At a given IAS the WEIGHT of the molecules would be identicle and that is the concern, as that is what creates the force that would induce flutter. When talking of composite experimental aircraft and comparing with certificated aircraft, that is like comparing apples and oranges. There have been many experimentals that have had flutter problems, some of them never discovered until aircraft gets into an unusual or different flight mode that one of the previous builder/test pilots didn't get into. There really is NO TEST program at all with Experimentals versus a quite substantial program required for certification, and there have been many flight control problems discovered during certification process that required returning to the drawing board as I'm sure you are aware...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

mauleace wrote:
210TC

And once on an IFR flight I went to 23,000 in an attempt to get above the Ice.
You must have been freezing your nuts off. My Maule is like sitting on a screened in porch, real drafty and not much waste heat for the cabin when it is cold.

Great story, my Maule surprises me with it's abilities everytime I fly it.
[/quote]
That is funny! A screened in porch. You can imagine my wife and I flying our newly purchaced maule from Dallas to Bismarck ND in late December . The further north we got the colder we got. That is one drafty aircraft!
1975 Maule M5-210C

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Have heard of an after market heater. Someone should note it's
+"s & -'s.

We were at 40 below in Canada at 17,000. The first thing I did was head to the mens room when we landed at White Horse. It took a little extra time for things to to function and it was painful.
I made a mistake earlier. The flight was from Mackenzie to W. H. 500 kt/miles

Stormy Dayton

Air Speed

Post by Stormy Dayton »

Skip!
At 20 square I am getting about 97 to 98 knot's from my M5 235 C. And am burning about 9.5 per hour !!

Stormy Dayton
Stormy Dayton