Why so many tri-gear Maules with prop-strikes?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Craigh-KRPH

Why so many tri-gear Maules with prop-strikes?

Post by Craigh-KRPH »

When shopping for a MXT-7-180, I found that almost half of the planes available had some sort of nosegear / prop-strike damage. What is the reason for such a high percentage? Is it

1) landing too fast and porpoising?
2) landing too hard nose first?
3) landing in places that a trike shouldn't?

As a tailwheel pilot with almost 500 hours TW time (but currently shopping for a trike), such a high incidence of prop-strikes really puzzles me. Can any current Tri-gear Maule owners/pilots chime in?
Craig Helm
'97 MXT-7-180A
Graham, TX (KRPH)

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Editied
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have looked (as you have) at the crash reports. As I remember a large percentage of the prop strikes were from rolling the nose wheel into a hole, a rut, or soft mud while taxiing at low speed. My MT 7-235 has a detailed log entry from just such a strike in soft wet grass at 500hrs. With the Lyc 540, there is a lot of weight on that little front tire. A long prop, low nitrogen pressure in the nose dampener, no radiator hose and hose clamps around the dampener shaft, low front tire pressure, and one small hole = prop strike. Others can chime in, I think that off the pavement a 7 or 8-inch nose wheel and tire would prevent most of it.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

stevesMaule180

Nosegear prop strikes ...

Post by stevesMaule180 »

Hale-Yes wrote:I have looked (as you have) at the crash reports. As I remember a large percentage of the prop strikes were from rolling the nose wheel into a hole, a rut, or soft mud while taxiing at low speed. My MT 7-235 has a detailed log entry from just such a strike in soft wet grass at 500hrs. With the Lyc 540, there is a lot of weight on that little front tire. A long prop, low nitrogen pressure in the nose dampener, no radiator hose and hose clamps around the dampener shaft, low front tire pressure, and one small hole = prop strike. Others can chime in, I think that off the pavement a 7 or 8-inch nose wheel and tire would prevent most of it.
Think you nailed it for the reasons. I had my A&P add a little nitrogen pressure to lift maybe an extra inch. Don’t think the tire size increase is any guarantee. We have the Lyc. 180, and any taxi in grass is Yoke FULL BACK to your chest. My tail wheel instructor taught this to me, and the habit sticks with me now with nose gear. Even on pavement, I keep yoke to chest to do best I can to lift nose to avoid little stones getting sucked up into prop wash, and putting nicks in my propeller.

PS: i no longer venture into grass unless I have no choice.

Good Flying ... Maules rule!
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾