Draco's crash at Reno

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Paul Amstutz

Draco's crash at Reno

Post by Paul Amstutz »

If anyone is following STOL Drag racing at Reno, you undoubtedly know the unfortunate loss of Draco.

Mike Patey is a standup guy and has accepted pilot decision as the factor.

When I look at the video that is available, Draco is in a marked cross wind, right landing gear articulation fully compressed.

When he takes off, there is an abrupt change in attitude, that, although I will accept Mike's mea culpa, appears to be a right landing gear fails, overloaded beyond design intention.

The video we have, unfortunately, has a 3 second blank of view at this critical point.

I think the Wilga gear could not take it.

The right gear collapsed, and that is what Mike describes as a gust he has never felt before.

Anyway,

In retrospect I think Mike should have just done what he would do if there were no tower to interfere.

I think Mike could probably have been able to do that takeoff without difficulty, altho he obviously could have made it a lot easier.

The Wilga suspension failed. In a condition it was not designed for.

FWIW. Paul

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Keep in mind his suspension was heavily modified. Also if you look at the final resting location the right gear leg is intact. You will also note he attempted a STOL style take off by trying to slam the tail down and pop into the air. He could have done a lot of things differently. One in my opinion is he should have pinned the plane on the ground longer than normal and waited for the ailerons to start working so he could get that left wing down. But that’s me being a copilot sitting in the FBO. I have operated the Maule in similar (actually worse) conditions and it’s not fun. But on take off I opted to run down a taxi way perpendicular to the runway and pinned the plane for a moment and built up a touch of ground speed before I let the tires leave the pavement.

It’s all very unfortunate, and I wish Mike the best of luck on his new plane and possible rebuild of the Wilga.