configuration for carrying a parachute jumper?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Ron Hallmark

configuration for carrying a parachute jumper?

Post by Ron Hallmark »

My son wants to jump out of the Maule???? He has "some" experience being trained in the Navy via the Army training base in Georgia. Does anyone have ANY experience or any words of wisdom for the pilot of a M-5-235C with a passenger who wants to sport parachute. Are there regulations, where does one go to get some experience and knowledge? Can you take the back seat door off? If anyone has any experience with jumpers please comment. Thanks Ron

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Well I just can't fathom why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane but to each his own.

To answer your question my rear seat removes easily along with all 3 doors on the right side as I have flown the plane this way several times for photographers and areal search missions to assist the local law (gotta stay on their good side) they really like to fly too. None have inquired about jumping out though. Plane flies fine without the doors but is placarded " only fly with door off one side "

My concerns would be jumper hitting horizontal stabilizer or perhaps getting hung on it, that would make for a really bad day
The best Government, is less Government.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am not really enthusiastic about the venture. He is stationed in Spain, and comes home 4 to 6 times each year. He has a friend group of navy parachute team members, and he jumps with them when stateside. I will visit a nearby group of parachute enthusiasts down in northern Alabama and get a thorough explanation/training session before even thinking on it any further. Again thanks for the info about the doors and your experience flying without them.
Ron

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Check the FARs, it fairly involved if you want to be compliant. Not sure if being not for Hire changes that much.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Thanks K.C. You can bet I will check out the regulations. First, I am going to visit with the gang at Cullman, AL where they jump almost every weekend, just to get an overview of the procedure. I have an old high school classmate friend who now lives in Wichita, he still jumps out of planes a LOT, and he is 69 years old.
Ron

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

You'll want a bailout/emergency parachute for starters. Consider your exit path should SHTF. You may want to pull the right seat out to make it easier to get out of the right side of the plane. Make sure his equipment is in good condition with solid pin protection, secure deployment handles, and he protects them while in, and exiting, the plane. Make sure his reserve repack is in date (180 days from last repack).

Nothing will ruin everyone's day like a parachute deploying while the jumper is still in the plane. Speaking of which, will your insurance cover you if something happens?

Disclaimer: I've never flown jumpers, but I've got about 2000 jumps, a rigger's ticket, and family that runs a rather large drop zone. I won't pretend to know the legalities, but it's not likely much will happen as long as the parachutes stay where they're supposed to while he's in the plane.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Sounds a lot like I just need to pass. All things considered, just not worth it.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

As always you need to CYA but having him go out the back doors with them off (Perfectly legal) works very well.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Thanks Wup, The FARs do not prohibit it if you follow the guidelines. We will be getting a lot more personal instruction and guidance, but it's not really as daunting as I first thought. Especially if we take the doors off on the right side. Ron