Optimum Center of Gravity

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Ron Hallmark

Optimum Center of Gravity

Post by Ron Hallmark »

At AirVenture the other day "CC" Pocock gave a class on Backcountry and Tailwheel training. One of the most important factoids was for us to find our "Optimum CG" for wheel landings. This would allow us to make those perfect wheel landing touch downs with almost no roll out, just like the STOL competitors do. I missed the first 20 minutes of the lecture, so I missed the method of finding the "Optimum CG" that he discussed. He was in a hurry to leave and there were so many other people asking him questions that I did not find out the method. Now, I don't want to appear stupid and if this is a dumb question, forgive me for asking a dumb question, but How do we find the "Optimum CG" and load the Airplane to operate in the appropriate CG range.
Thanks for any replies,
Ron

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Ok, take this as opinion only!!!!

Best STOL Landing in a Maule is a Tail first 3-point with brakes heavy into a wheelie. True wheel landing requires more airspeed than a solid 3-point.

A steep, not a shallow approach is best. This is very steep in a Maule. Once at a safe ground effect altitude you can convert to using power (dragging it in) until you are just short of the ground then let her drop by killing power then killing flaps if safe. Then hammer the brakes (assuming you don’t touch down full brakes) until you are level and keep her there until the tail drops.

Dragging in on a shallow approach is rarely needed and of course dangerous. It’s fun in some cases if you want to show off though.

All this said, tail heavy Maules tend to perform better in STOL ops. Tail heavy would not be ideal wheel landing CG.

Fires Lit and I’m breaking out the ingredients for S’mores during the ensuing fire of differing opinions.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

I made a couple of landings this morning with only myself and three-fourths full fuel tanks.............Then filled two 5 gal cans with fuel and put them in the baggage compartment. My next two landings could be considered wheel landings, just not really GOOD wheel landings. The landings with 60 extra pounds in the baggage area seemed to give me just a little better elevator control to keep the tail wheel from touching until rolling out enough to then very lightly let the tail down. I am still experimenting. Pocock has a book he wants to sell...so, I may spring for his book.
Ron

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just watch these and then go try it out. Maybe get an instructor to help if you need.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lameusernameguy

Couple things he does not discuss, one of those is optimum CG. That is for several reasons I’m sure. I can tell you that many STOL guys flying maules have 5lb weights attached to the tail wheel.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I wanted to post a quick follow up on this regarding where vs 3-point landings.

I don’t have experience in Cessna tailwheel aircraft, but I understand that some have a tube style tailwheel that can be considered delicate by comparison. That said, those airplanes may be safer to wheel land. But assuming you aren’t landing on watermelon sized boulders, the tail wheel setup on the Maule can handle a fair amount of beating before they break.

Bottom line is the airplane flys slower at high angle of attack, a wheel landing is not that. A three point attitude or in a Maule (tail low) attitude is going to be the shortest landing assuming the terrain is suitable. But the tail should pop up as you brake hard which helps save the tail wheel from over abuse in tougher terrain.

An aircraft with a delicate tailwheel can still be landed tail low without touching the tail, but that takes a lot more skill and practice to pull off.

Anyways, not sure why but that was eating at me a bit.

These are just my opinions based on what has been working for me in my Maule.

Ron Hallmark

Post by Ron Hallmark »

Thanks K.C. for your response. I have found the same as you have said that the tail low, what most would call a 3-point landing is indeed the go-to landing for my Maule too. A few year back I took a refresher course where we did a lot of spins and stalls, turns around a point, S-turns, Unusual attitude recovery maneuvers and such. The instructor is a super great guy, but he was a demanding instructor. He passed me on all the other stuff, BUT he said I needed to learn how to wheel land a tailwheel airplane. We were in his Citabria for the lessons, so, it's "different" from the Maule. I have just been trying to become more competent at wheel landings in the Maule, just for my own personal improvement. And I am finding that the Citabria was a breeze to wheel land when compared to the Maule.
Thanks for your thoughts, and I DO AGREE with you.
Ron

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

In the middle of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xfgfds-e0 I compare the short 3 pt. and short wheel landings in my MX7-160. I have come to prefer the wheel landing when on big tires, extended gear, and off airport.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

The wheel landing in that video is more of a hybrid of a 3pt to a wheelie. That is my go to, but I usually hit the tail pretty solid first then brakes pull me up into a wheelie. This gives you the slowest touchdown and still have visibility as you roll out.