Vx and Vy for the M5-235C

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
rv8bldr

Vx and Vy for the M5-235C

Post by rv8bldr »

Hi folks

I have been trying to find references to the Vx and Vy speeds for the '79 M5-235C I bought last year. I have been through these forums, Maule's documentation (POH), other forums, and even asked The Google :-)

Nada.

What speeds are you currently using for Vx and Vy (best angle and best rate of climb) ?

I am going to run through the EAA Flight Test cards for these at some point, but I am curious as to what people are using.

Cheers
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Page 9 of the POH (Normal Flight Operations) states Vx (Best angle) is 75 mph and 15º flaps and Vy (best rate) as 90 mph and no flaps.
M5

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Now why couldn't I see that before? What an idiot.... :oops:

Thanks, Dave
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Just think of it as a study tool; Its probably etched in your memory now! :D
Besides, you're probably not the only one that had that question.
M5

Pattiprof

Re: Vx and Vy for the M5-235C

Post by Pattiprof »

Hi,
I am new on this forum, i am the proud owner of a M7 235 in Italy.
On this topic do someone of you know if there is around some graphs showing M7 235 performances for best angle and best climb ratio giving out either a climb rate or something similar?
I am planning to land on a new marvelous place that is just at the bottom of a narrow valley on the italian dolomites mountains. I am quite sure to be able to safely land there. It has a nice almost 1000ft long strip slightly uphill, so no problems for this, but for the take off, there is quite some ground rising to up to 350 (100mt) feet above the initial point of take off and the distance is about 0.7 statute miles (1,23 kilometers) from the beginning of the take off run. The elevation of the place is around 3300 ft (1000ft).
I was looking around for some data/ graphs to check if i am able to go out from this beautiful place, but i had no luck. Nothing on AFM, online or on forum…..
Is someone able to help me out?
Thanks a lot,
Federico.
Federico Patti :twisted:

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

No performance charts are published for Maule aircraft. The type certificate predates that requirement.

For climb and cruise, some people have used Cessna 172XP or 182 graphs then applied a correction after some validation flights.

For your scenario, I would think if a Cessna 172XP could climb out on the proposed route, then a 235 HP Maule would exceed that performance. Kirk

Pattiprof

Post by Pattiprof »

Hi Kirk,
All understood, i did not know that…

So i will look for the 172XP charts and from there i could take out some considerations;)

Thanks a lot for the useful info
Ciao
Federico.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Pattiprof, Maule doesn't publish performance charts for their airplanes. There are so many different configurations that it wouldn't make much sense to try and create generic charts. Instead, some owners create their own based on experience and FAA charts. I put one together for my 1986 MX-7-180 but I added 31" ABI bush wheels, ABI standard heavy duty main gear legs and vortex generators after creating the chart. The new configuration results in a somewhat shorter takeoff and landing. Your M-7-235 is about 200 pounds heavier and more powerful but you didn't mention any options. I would think that it would take off in about the same distance as my MX-7-180 but climb faster. Landing distance would probably be a bit longer than my MX-7-180 due to the higher weight. If you want to modify my chart to fit your airplane, here's the Microsoft Excel version: https://www.maulepilot.com/mauleperformance_latest.xlsx . My charts are based on Vy of 94 mph.

Is there something about the airstrip that prevents you from landing uphill? Normally, I would land uphill and take off downhill unless the wind is 15 knots or more in the other direction. The M-7-235 should be able to handle a 1,000 ft downhill takeoff but you should check density altitude before taking off if it's very hot. At 90 degrees F, the density altitude is over 6,000 ft. Watch out for wind shear and trees. You don't want to end up like Jim Tweto.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Pattiprof

Post by Pattiprof »

Ciao Andy and thanks for the reply!!
All understood about the perf charts not published by maule, u right it would not make a lot of sense so far..

Thanks for the excel perf chart, i will have a look into that. My maule is a pretty standard one with 8.50 tires standard gear and the standard hartzell prop HC-C2YR

For the specific case, i would land uphill and take off downhill early morning or late evening to have better density altitude, just take into account that in this exact moment in that place it s around 70 F at midday… so not ideal for a first time…. ;)

The slope is between 3 to 5% so nothing really bad. And one way in and out cause on the other side there is a huge mountain that would prevent any go around on final and committing me to land in any case.

Yup next problems are the winds up at mid height valley just before the ridge (obstacle) i will need to wait for a very quite morning for that.

Thanks again for the infos;)

Cash

Post by Cash »

You should practice the landing and takeoff and climb out (sounds like a circle departure) at another airport with similar density altitude and similar expected winds. Use the uphill slope on landing and downhill on departure as a cushion. Once you get it down pat just follow it doing the real thing. Enjoy. Les
Flyrider

Pattiprof

Post by Pattiprof »

Thanks Cash, it is actually what i am trying to do right now, and it seems it works!!
Here below you can see the place where i am planning to land…. 😁

Pattiprof

Post by Pattiprof »

Better like this…