Squirly handeling fix found by accident.

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
JerseyJim

Squirly handeling fix found by accident.

Post by JerseyJim »

Figured I would share my experience with the group. I decided to start flying again after 10+ years off and purchased my M5-180-C. I took my 10 hours of insurance requirement, became current and received my tailwheel endorsement in a Maule M7. I started gradually into crosswinds but it was a handful. I am over 50 and not as quick as I once was but I armature road race cars and instruct on track and consider my reaction time above average. The M5 was a bit intimidating especially in light gusting crosswinds. This was not what I remembered in my training and my friend with a M6 makes landing look easy. Ok he won the Maule open house STOL competition so I am comparing myself to a high level. Still the M5 was a handful in light crosswinds and man was I dancing on the pedals. I was only going up on calm days but every little gust or even going past a hanger or trees on landing was scary when landing.
Finally by chance I heard a metal on metal pop while taxiing and turning. From reading the forums here I thought for sure my gear bolts were bent or shouldered(worn). I grounded myself until new NAS bolts were installed. Checked logs, bolts were original with 500 hours. The original bolts were removed an they were perfect? The spherical bearings where the oleo strut attaches to the bottom of the gear leg were seized. We stuck an iron worker style bull pin bar into the bearing and attempted to move it. When it finally moved it replicated the noise I had heard. After fixing the bearing problem the difference was amazing. My M5 went from a wildcat on landings to a little kitten. It is no longer darty and twitchy on landings. A few weeks later I landed with a 90deg 10kts crosswind with gusts to 15kts with no problems. The plane also feels so much softer and absorbs the landings better.
1984 M5 180-C

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Good to hear that Jim, now go practice some more!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners