Nose heavy on Approach

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
shamrock331

Nose heavy on Approach

Post by shamrock331 »

Hi Guys,
I am wondering if any of the experienced operators of the MXT-7-180 can offer me some advice. To cut a long story short, my nose feels very heavy. I can’t seem to get below 60knots or the nose wants to drop below the horizon with full flaps and a small bit of nose up trim and me alone or with somebody in the co pilot seat with 1/2 fuel loads. I seem to have less of an issue when I have weight in the back as it’s the only landings I can do without bouncing! Landing light weight keeps leading to bounces as I completely lose elevator authority 55-60knots leading to the plane touching down to fast, bouncing and wanting to nose down. I have been testing power shots to help but I can feel something is not right. The plane is a 1991 and well kept.

I am wondering would I maybe need the rigging checked?

I am reading of Pilots approaching at 55 knots or nose up but I can’t seem to get my plane into that state, I am yet to hear my stall Warner as I can’t get the nose up high enough with no more authority to play with while completing a roundout.

Also, I have no elevator seals, how much of a difference do they make?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a new owner with a lot to learn.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I didn't ever trim a Maule except for minor changes in cruise - sounds to me like a CG issue. The Maule wing should settle in with back pressure and a stabilized approach (see youtube backcountryaviation) at around 60mph.
TJ Van Matre

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Shamrock, If you send me an email at the below address, I can send you the rigging data so your mechanic can check that out. Also, gap seals are required on all M-6 and above versions of our plane. Suggested for the M-5 and not approved on the original M-4's, only the M-4 180V.

shamrock331

Post by shamrock331 »

Thanks Guys, I sent you an email Duane ðŸ‘￾

I wasn’t aware gap seals were mandatory can I order them from Maule direct?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Absolutely, email Kasey in parts at parts@mauleairinc.com

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Did a checkout in a M-7 several months ago. Airplane was rolled out with fresh annual. Gap seal was totally rotted off. If you don't know what you're doing, don't annual it. On the other side, airplane was about 10 knots faster than mine. Pissed me off.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Shamrock,
I have a few hours in tri gear Maules (180, 235 and 260) as well as M4, M6, M7 with various engines. I will try to help you if i can....

Check the rigging sounds like a good idea for a first step. Duane can guide you thru that.

Question:

1 - What type and HP were you flying most frequently before the Maule?
2 - Does your Maule have vortex generators?
3 - Constant speed prop?

This site has very experienced Maule aviators so dont fret, you’ll get good advice to get sorted.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I notice on my M-4 with a long prop, if I chop the throttle back to idle it is like throwing out an anchor and the nose can feel a little heavy. I can't imagine running out of elevator at the speeds you are quoting though. I bet it will fly like a different plane with the gap seals in place. As hinted, if you don't have VG's, you want them.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

shamrock331

Post by shamrock331 »

Hi Guys,
Appreciate the assistance.

I checked the elevator today against data kindly sent by Duane. It states elevator should go from 20 degrees down, to 30 degrees up.

On checking mine today, I find mine does the 20 degrees down but only achieves a maximum of 14 degrees up in essence removing some of the elevator I need.

I am going to need to get somebody to come out to figure out what’s wrong. I assume it won’t be rigging if we are missing 16 degrees somewhere? This would add up to why I’m struggling to keep the nose up.

LT, to answer your questions
1: mainly 100hp
2: No
3: Yes

I am also going to order the seals and VG as advised.

Thanks guy ðŸ‘￾
Maule MXT-7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Something is definitely very wrong if you are only getting 14* up. That’s a huge discrepancy from spec. It’ll make a world of difference when you get that fixed.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Trying to delete duplicate
Last edited by Andy Young on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Only getting 14 degrees sounds like a problem. Check under the panel and make sure the yoke is not catching on something. I talked to a guy that did avionics work one time and he told about flying with an airline pilot that was having a hard time landing a Cessna that he had bought. Turns out that someone had installed radios and not checked to make sure there was enough clearance. The yoke was hitting the mounting tray and only getting half the travel.

Worth taking a look....
No great story started with a good idea...

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

WOW! Your current rigging is supplying you less than HALF your elevator?! Yeah, i bet it is a handful. Get it fixed and see how pretty she flies. Good luck with it.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Also note that to get full travel on the yoke, you have to lift up as you come back. It moves in an arc that gets ever tighter as you near the up stop.

shamrock331

Post by shamrock331 »

Thanks,
We did check the yoke and under the dash to ensure it is getting full range of movement of which it is.
Maule MXT-7-180