Nose heavy on Approach

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

Your problem now is that when some dumb cluck has done or allowed that what else awaits !!

There's nothing stopping you (legally) going over everything in the plane possible without dismantling and comparing with the specs. A parts list is an asset as well as checking service letters.

Derek

shamrock331

Post by shamrock331 »

The plane was checked off before buying. Previous owner had done no changes. After this, I then asked them to arrange an 8.33 radio to be fitted so I could ferry it home. It was this radios wiring that had been installed to the rail. Lesson learned to check any modifications in future. Got my elevator hitting 30 degrees today after fixing it. Didn’t fly as the weather wasn’t great but looking forward to testing it out with a now extra 50% elevator to play with 🤦â€￾♂ï¸￾
Maule MXT-7-180

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

“An 8.33 radioâ€￾? That a new one on me but i am used to not knowing stuff so,,,🤷ðŸ￾»â€￾♂ï¸￾ðŸ˜￾
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

shamrock331

Post by shamrock331 »

In Europe we need to use new 8.33 spacing radios as opposed to the .25 ones we use to have ( and as used in USA). They were running out of channels as there is so many airports and a maze of different controlled airspace with so many countries in such a small place. So, to make more space for more radio channels to make use of, this was enforced on us. Basically all planes had to update their radios to new ones. Caused a lot of expense and downtime with the rush to get it done before the dead line.

If we use the older radios now, we can end up transmitting across multiple stations at once, hence the enforced change.
Maule MXT-7-180

stevesMaule180

Post by stevesMaule180 »

shamrock331 wrote:Thanks,
We did check the yoke and under the dash to ensure it is getting full range of movement of which it is.
How did it work out? I've been flying mxt-7-180 now for 12 years. Was wondering which setting you use for the Flaps, when trying to achieve 'nose on horizon', at 60 KTS.

Fwiw I rarely come in below 60, just in case a tailwind/turbulence comes along which it has once. No damage but you never forget the feeling of a bad tailwind on short final.

Good flying!
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾