1 notch, 2 notches, 3... None

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Hottshot
100+ Posts

1 notch, 2 notches, 3... None

Post by Hottshot »

Ok Maulers--

What is your prefered teck-neek of landing? I know there are a lot of vairiables ie: wind weight bla bla bla....

For this question we will work with a 3 to 5 mph head wind half fuel and you and your tent, trees at one end and a 1000' strip.

Other ideas or thoughts open to discuss as well but start with this one.

Let the games commence... :twisted:

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Which end are the trees?

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

What I typically do is put in 2 notches of flaps (40 deg) and adjust power so that I cross the numbers at 60 mph, maybe a little less. I cut the power maybe 5 feet AGL as I gently round out, and hold that attitude. As the speed bleeds the plane settles nicely on the mains, or as the plane settles, ever so gently pull back maybe an inch on the yoke and put it on all three. My worst landings have ocurred trying to flare the landing either too soon or too much and balooning. I have found it is much better to focus on on keeping the plane comletely straight, round out low and let the plane touch down on the mains. This is especially important with the X-wind as if you flare and the plane is not ready to touch down, you get can loose it pretty quickly. Also do not forget the cardinal rule of not chasing a balooned landing attempt, either smooth it out with a little power and three point it or go around.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I'm seeing all Maules are not the same, longer/shorter wings, bigger/smaller flaps, bigger/smaller engines(both weight and power), spring flaps/cartridge flaps, etc. So...in addition to weight, fuel, yada-yada there are some things you do a little differently. I think AK Mauler has a good general approach prodedure. I was taught what I was told was the "Maule Technique" with the "ker-plunk"...tailwheel first (about 4"-6" before the mains) landing. You are going about as slow as you can when you land. You define directional stability with the tailwheel as you lose aerodynamic control. I only have about 100 hours of Maule time so I am a real beginner. I am always looking for new ideas and tech-neeks, too. I am not suppossed to slip with flaps...so sometimes I approach w/o flaps to descend over obstructions and then get into flaps. With the shorter wings the stall speed is higher, so full flap approach is closer to 70 with one hand on the throttle. I have the vg's and those help, too. My 2nd notch of flaps is 35 degrees in static state, but in actuality it is probably only 30 degrees in flight. I see techniques of setting down with release of the flaps, too. This prevents some floating and allows you to get on the binders. Practice, practice, practice and learn from those with more experience. So...who's next?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Donkee--

with what you discribe you must be in a 4 or 5? I know that methed well and I can say the Torque Tube flaps and longer give you a little different set of rules. as for not sliping with flaps I was taught and told it was no problem to do so and do it frequently.

Keep the info comeing!! 8)

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

I've done plenty of tail wheel first full stall ker-plunk, stall horn blaring landings. Some go good and others, not so graceful. There is a fine margin of knowing when the plane is done flying and when to pull the yoke back. If the wind is gusty you are hoping for a bit of luck. With careful attention to airspeed, attitude and wind condition you can get very good at this technique and is the proposed method for soft and short field landings. The toughest part of my transition to the Maule (from the cherokee and C-150) was waiting for the plane to slow down and settle before flaring.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I have not had any instruction in wheel landing, yet...however I have done some experimenting. I have a fair amount of time in the C182 and PA-28-200R which are a bit heavier and sink rather well if you don't have too much excess airspeed. I know when, after flying the heavier craft, I would get into a C172 and have a bit too much airspeed, I could float well beyond the intended touch down point. When you are landing on a paved strip 100' wide and 5000' long, you can make a lot of mistakes without mishap. One thing I am learning in the Maule is to have the altitude and airspeed in control and making corrections early enough that I am prepared on approach.

donknee
100+ Posts

Descent

Post by donknee »

Flying to Joseph, OR last summer at 10500 to clear the Wallowa Mtns, then needing to descend 5000' to pattern altitude in a circling pattern. Someone suggessted I slow down, put in two notches of flaps, pull on back on the yoke until I get to the desired altitude, then add power, clean up and resume normal flight. I've tried this for "shorter" descents but not for 5000'. Is there anyone out there with experience performing this maneuver? Any tips?
1976 M5-235-C

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I fly a M4-210. On a short, rough field, I indicate 50 mph on final with full flaps. When my spot is made, power off and stall it on. After touchdown flaps up and brake. If the field isn't too rough and the approach is flat I will sometimes wheel land at 55 indicated, if you retract flaps here the tail will drop immediately and stick back and brake as able.

Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Maules can be slipped with flaps deployed.
If you really want to decend without using up forward distance, gradually precool the engine, then slow down, apply full flaps, pull the yoke back with muscle and little trim and descend flat at the stall. When needing lift again at the bottom of the elevator shaft, merely drop the nose to reactivate air-flow over the wing and make the landing.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide