M5 180 Stall speeds confusion

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
JerseyJim

M5 180 Stall speeds confusion

Post by JerseyJim »

I was looking on Maule Air FAQ, Flight Manuals, and noticed 2 listings for M5 180-C. One for SN 8070C and up one for earlier SN 8069c and down. Mine is SN 8049C so earlier. Manuel lists Stall at 60MPH (post 8070C Manuel states stall 53 MPH.)
My Maule came factory with the later 20/40 flaps and no VG, no elevator gap seals although I am planning on installing. I know earlier M5 had 15/35 flaps.

My M5 stalls close to 50MPH? When I try landing and carrying 60MPH she floats or bounces. (bottom of my plane white arc is 60 MPH) Hate going against the Manuel.

Is this just a screw up on serial numbers? 20/40 flap stall at 53, 15/35 stall at 60? Is there a difference between pre and post SN 8070C? Different wing or tip?

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Who is to say the airspeed indicator is even close to accurate? On short final I never look at the instrument. It is a distraction when landing on my 12' wide x 800' strips. A lot of the time when instructing I cover the panel up and have the student concentrate on accurately touching down on a designated spot.

Fly the airplane to make controlled and accurate landings and don't worry about what the airspeed indicator says.

Rick montanabyair.com

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Whether the airspeed indicator is marginally accurate or not, it is still a reliable indicator for the threshold of stall as tested while a pilot explores the performance envelope. If you change the accuracy of the instrument, you'll have to go exploring again. What is useful is knowing that the stall speed increases as the weight of the aircraft increases (or loads up with G force). So knowing that the aircraft with only pilot and half fuel stalls at a given point on the instrument, you certainly don't want to be at that threshold loaded with pax and cargo. Monitoring the instrument will buy you that additional margin needed for the extra weight.

The original question would be best answered by Jeremy. I believe the airfoil and wing is all the same on all M5's. They didn't make any changes to the flap system until the M6 (torque tube).

Make sure the aircraft is rigged properly and according to the manual. Any deviations there will cause problems. Since getting mine correctly rigged I'm seeing 45 indicated with only a mush (pilot w/ 1/2 fuel). Prior to the rigging correction it would break hard to the left. Most if not all of these aircraft have been worked on for one reason of another and it pays to ensure it was done right.
M5

JerseyJim

Post by JerseyJim »

Rick I was out last winter getting my tailwheel endorsement with you. Can't imagine too many city slickers from New Jersey come out your way ( Rick is a great instructor and the beauty of Montana was incredible)
I wheel land smooth but 3 point I still bounce occasionally. Seems like I do it more with a passenger. May just be me overcompensating approach speed for the weight. I did what other suggested and fly at minimum airspeed. May need to do the same with a passenger and full tanks to build feel and confidence.
My question about the different manual published stall speeds is just curiosity as to why there are 2 different at serial number 8070c. Also on FAQ under model difference spec sheet it lists all M5 stall 1/2 tank, pilot only at 38mph?