Power out descent

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
BUZZ

Power out descent

Post by BUZZ »

I'm new to the world of flying. Just recently bought a 1985 M5. So far having a blast learning to fly a new airplane however it raises many new questions. From what I've been told and what I've read on this forum it seems safe to say that 15" of MP is what most use to begin getting the plane slowed to Vfe and that keeping 12 to 13" in until touchdown is the accepted practice for most.
Now it just may be an issue with my a patience rather than my flying technique but it sure seems that my plane doesn't want to quit flying at that power setting in fact at 15" and slight back pressure on the yoke I'll gain significant altitude before the plane slows at all. Do I need to change my technique or start expecting to plan my descents/approaches differently? Any and all advice welcome and appreciated.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hi Buzz!

Speaking for myself, I plan on 80 mph on final and once the field is made I pull off power. BTW, I have a 1980 M5-180C. I find that I get a good, smooth landing that way. Even on short fields.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

welcome buzz,

i can't give you rpm or MP settings to go by, cause i don't really know.
wheel landings in my M5 seem to like one notch (20 degrees) and a stabilized 80 mph approach, regardless of weight.
for short field ops, i will use 50-60 mph (depending on weight) with full flaps, power off, and a very steep decent angle. the flare happens by pushing the nose down on short final to increase the decent rate and slightly increase speed- just enough to have the energy to flare. also be VERY ready with a little bit of power to arrest the decent.
power settings are as required to maintain these speeds.

when learning the airplane i started using a 70 mph stabilized approach and kept practicing- dropping 5 mph every time i got comfortable with it. this is power off. you will notice your decent rate gets steeper with every 5 mph you drop, and you will have to get closer in on short final before starting your decent- or you will have to add power to make the runway.
FWIW- i don't pull full flaps until on short final slowing thru 70 mph.
M5-235

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I have an M7-235C but what has worked for me is the 80mph, 24 degrees of flaps. As for MP like UP-5 I cut power on short final for a level entry and then flare. However I did that gradually in the beginning I sometimes left 7to 10 MP when I was trying to land at 70mph. That all changed once I discovered 80mph worked better with no power.
I do the same UP-5 does on short field except on occasion I dump full flaps to 24 degrees on glide slope and control speed, some power inputs if needed. In other words I use full flaps when I judge that I am to high on base turn, it depends on airfield and obstructions. Sometimes it is my fault and other times it can be the wind but either way once I get to glide slope in some cases I dump to 24 degrees. Of course if there are no PAPI or VASI lights it is up to your judgment. I find that I am a lot less likely to sink on short short final at 24 degrees of flaps. That is the reason why at full flaps you have to be ready for power input because the sink will lead to a bounce that leads to a decision go around or try to save the landing. It is always better to input power rather than attempt a save with rudder and yoke inputs alone. IMHO
BTW welcome to being a Maule driver. Be patient and build your confidence with 80mph, 24 degrees and then try different techniques.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

N9657

Post by N9657 »

I have a M5 180 also. Your wing is much shorter than the other models so be carefull about approach speeds less than 60 mph. Get some altitude and find the stall speed for your plane. Mine is about 55. When landing on pavement I find that a final approach speed of 70 mph carrying just enough power to maintain glide slope with a smooth reduction of power at the threshhold gives me a three point landing. Just over the threshhold start to allow the plane to slowly settle while maintaining a 1 foot distance avove the runway. This works for me with 1 or 2 notches of flap. With 2 notches the plane will have a tendency to balloon so keep the wheels just above the runway as the nose starts to point up. I think this happens because the tail stops flying and when it settles the nose points up. There is less of a tendency for this with less flap. (the plane stops flying sooner so the wheels settle before the tail drops too much) Be ready to drop the flaps asap, the plane will stick to the runway better if you do. I feel that the plane lands on grass much better than on pavement probably less ground effect from less reflected heat. Everybody has there own favorite technicque.

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

Well thanks for all the input. Hopefully I'll be flying tomorrow the wind out here in Wasilla has been kinda intimidating for the last week. At least for a newbie but I'm anxious to try some different techniques. Flying up to Skwenta this weekend to do some work on some property and hopefully some fishing.

BUZZ

Post by BUZZ »

How do I add a picture to my profile?

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Go to your profile (top right of the page) at the bottom of the profile page is the avatar section but first go to this site and shrink the photo.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT