First Flight Review

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

First Flight Review

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

This past Friday, I had my first BFR as a Maule owner. I finally got an opportunity to fly with my favorite tailwheel instructor at Wausau Downtown Airport (KAUW) in Wausau, WI. It's been a long time waiting, but the time finally arrived.

It was a beautiful sunny 30-degree day with barely a breeze and smooth as silk. I was hoping to get some crosswind practice in, but the winds weren't cooperating. The main thing I was hoping to get out of this event, though, was the sights, sounds, feels, and smells of this plane, as well as detailed finesse. It's a lot easier to do that when you have another person in the plane with you.

John Peter Chmiel teaches aviating, not flying. So I knew that as soon as we got up in the air, I'd be learning things, not just doing the BFR for the sake of meeting the requirements. We did a lot of sight picture stuff: learning what Vx looked, sounded, and felt like; same with Vy. I remember when learning to fly the Citabria with him a few years ago that the plane had a unique resonance about it in the tail at Vx. Turns out the Maule has one of those, too.

Stalls were a non-event, as always. When I finally got is actually stalled, it drop a wing off to the right a little bit, but that's to be expected, I imagine, with that much right rudder in. We flew for quite a while at the ragged edge of stall, with the stall horn beeping away for several minutes at a time. ASI hovered at 40-45mph for a good portion of the morning.

Approaches at altitude were what I'd hoped for. Set up for different approach speeds and RPMs, and then checking the wing angle. Using that info, we practiced approaches and landings. Turns out that my plane's sweet spot on landing is around 50-55mph. I've been slowly sneaking up on slower landing speeds because I could feel that 60-65 was just too fast.

Emergency descents were fun and interesting. We easily hit 2000fpm on those. Simulated engine fire: carb heat on, throttle off, push over, full flaps, and 45-degree circling descent at the top of the white arc. Two circles, maybe, from 4500 feet down to about 1200 feet or so. A mad slip to the runway, and landed perfectly.

Other simple technique things, like knowing where to look in a turn. I've always found myself looking beneath the wing toward the runway in a turn to final. Problem is, you can't see the runway, and I've found myself to be uncoordinated in that turn. Looking forward make sure I can watch the nose do the right thing during the turn to final so adverse yaw doesn't take over.

Also, doing ascents and descents with the tach and ASI covered up, then making power and angle adjustments to accommodate, using sights and sounds as the guide. A fella can get in tune with the plane nicely like this, I think.

I enjoyed the day a lot. If you're going to take the day off of work for fun things like this, it's great to really get into the experience!

~Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Sounds like a great instructor! I would like to spend some time with one like that; it's worth every penny! Glad He's comfortable in your Maule, too. That is hard to find these days. It is hard to find CFI's that are comfortable doing stalls sometimes.

I went up last week to do some stall work as I really couldn't answer some questions I had. Did stalls at every flap setting; noted speed, descent rate, and attitude for each notch (clean, 20º, 40º). Although I was admittedly pretty light, it never really "broke" at any setting; it just mushed. Clean was getting some buffet but with the yoke back to the stop it never really broke over. My next exploration is going to be at gross. Then I plan to go to KAXX (@ 8300' MSL) and do some DA performance tests. Since we got the rigging corrected the plane is flying hands off, too. :D
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

John also teaches in a 220hp Stearman in the warm weather. Talk about a plane that makes you pay attention. :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Sounds like a good time - I have my first BFR coming up as well. Should have been last week but my CFI didn't feel like we could accomplish much with 40mph winds. Hopefully a week from today the WX cooperates.
TJ Van Matre